City
Epaper

UN envoy urges calm as tensions rise in Yemen

By IANS | Updated: December 28, 2025 06:50 IST

Aden, Dec 28 United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg called on all parties to exercise restraint ...

Open in App

Aden, Dec 28 United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg called on all parties to exercise restraint and avoid further escalation, as tensions mount in Yemen's eastern governorates of Hadramout and Al-Mahrah.

In a statement posted on social media platform X, Grundberg reiterated the UN secretary-general's call for "restraint, de-escalation and dialogue," urging all parties to avoid actions that could further complicate the situation.

He underscored the importance of ongoing regional mediation efforts, noting that he remains engaged with Yemeni and regional stakeholders in support of de-escalation and progress toward "a comprehensive and inclusive political solution" to the conflict in Yemen, Xinhua news agency reported.

Grundberg made the remarks after Saudi Arabia carried out airstrikes on Friday targeting Southern Transitional Council (STC) sites, including positions of the Hadrami Elite Forces in the Ghayl bin Yamin area near key oil fields. No casualties or damage to military equipment were reported.

The strikes followed the STC's latest military expansion in eastern Yemen. On December 3, STC forces took control of Hadramout after clashes with pro-government units, before extending their presence into the eastern province of Al-Mahrah without reported resistance. The group has since recruited local forces in both provinces, despite repeated calls from the Yemeni government and Saudi Arabia for de-escalation.

Earlier in the day, Turki Al Maliki, spokesperson for the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen, said that any military movements undermining de-escalation efforts would be addressed to protect civilians, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

Yemen's Presidential Leadership Council (PLC) Chairman Rashad Al-Alimi on Saturday welcomed the coalition's measures to curb what he described as destabilizing actions by the STC in the two governorates.

Formed in 2017, the STC seeks self-determination and eventual independence for southern Yemen. Although it joined the Saudi-led coalition and was integrated into Yemen's internationally recognized government in 2022, the group continues to press for southern secession. The STC has accused previous Yemeni governments of politically and economically marginalizing the south, a claim Yemeni authorities deny.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

EntertainmentRajeev Khandelwal recalls traumatic time during father’s heart attack: He was unconscious

InternationalUAE again condemns Iran's "unlawful" attack in Gulf region and disruption on Strait of Hormuz passage

Cricket"Idea is to transform India from a sports-loving nation to a sports-playing nation": Tendulkar on SRT10 Altevol Centre of Excellence Sports Academy

BusinessKharge attacks Centre over fresh fuel price hike, says shifting burden of failures onto public

BusinessPaytm building one of India’s strongest fintech business models: Citi

International Realted Stories

InternationalFake notes from the sky: ISI’s latest drone plot alarms Indian agencies

International"The hypocrisy is obvious": Iran criticises Germany over accusation of strikes on UAE

InternationalContradictory and excessive behaviours of US major obstacle: Iran FM Araghchi tells Pakistan Interior Minister

InternationalRajnath Singh meets Vietnamese Prez To Lam, reaffirms commitment to deepen defence ties

InternationalReports by ignorant NGOs: India rebuts Norwegian journalist’s question on press freedom, human rights