City
Epaper

US rejects Putin's proposal on New START extension

By IANS | Updated: October 17, 2020 04:50 IST

Washington, Oct 17 The White House rejected Russian President Vladimir Putin's proposal earlier in the day to extend ...

Open in App

Washington, Oct 17 The White House rejected Russian President Vladimir Putin's proposal earlier in the day to extend the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START) for at least one year without conditions.

"President Putin's response today to extend New START without freezing nuclear warheads is a non-starter," US President Donald Trump's National Security Adviser Robert O'Brien said on Twitter on Friday, Xinhua news agency reported.

O'Brien reiterated the US proposal of an extension of New START for one year, during which both countries cap all nuclear warheads, referring to both strategic and tactical ones.

"We hope that Russia will reevaluate its position before a costly arms race ensues," he added.

Earlier in the day, Putin proposed to extend the New START without conditions for at least a year for further negotiations.

"I have a proposal, namely, to extend the current Treaty without any conditions for at least a year in order to be able to conduct meaningful negotiations on all issues that are governed by agreements of this kind," Putin said at a meeting with permanent members of the country's Security Council.

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov earlier this week rebuffed Washington's position on freezing nuclear arsenals. "The US position in favour of freezing has long been known to us, it is unacceptable to us."

The Russian chief arms control negotiator also noted that Russia would refuse any agreement on the New START that was timed to coincide with the US presidential election.

In 2010, Washington and Moscow signed the New START, which stipulates the limits to the numbers of deployed strategic nuclear warheads and delivery systems by both. This last remaining nuclear arms control treaty in force between the two nuclear superpowers will expire on February 5, 2021.

The treaty can be extended for at most five years with the consent of the two countries. Without an extension, the US and Russian nuclear arsenals would be unchecked for the first time since 1972.

( With inputs from IANS )

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: Robert C. O'BrienusXinhuaMoscowSergei RyabkovWhite House
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalMassive Bee Swarm Lands on White House, Appears as Black Dot; Video Goes Viral

InternationalTrump, National Security Team Review Iran Hormuz Proposal: White House

InternationalDonald Trump Hellhole Remarks: Iran’s Mumbai Consulate Takes Dig at the US President With Cultural Jab

InternationalKentucky Shooting: At Least 4 Killed, Including Suspect And Family Members In Adair County Standoff

InternationalTyphoon Sinlaku Live Tracker Map: Cyclonic Storm Intensifies Into Category 5; Check Real-Time Location

International Realted Stories

InternationalUS indicts Chinese executives, major container firms over alleged global shipping price-fixing conspiracy

InternationalCyprus President Nikos Christodoulides to visit India from May 20-23

InternationalDalai Lama attends long life prayer ceremony at Tsuglagkhang Temple in Dharamsala

InternationalBalochistan universities erupt in protest as state fails to recover kidnapped academics

International'Indian music is getting very popular': PM Modi highlights cultural performances by Italian artists in Rome