City
Epaper

Zelenskyy agrees to partial ceasefire with Russia, says US

By IANS | Updated: March 19, 2025 23:51 IST

Washington, March 19 Ukranian leader Volodymyr Zelenskyy has agreed to a partial ceasefire in the war against Russia ...

Open in App

Washington, March 19 Ukranian leader Volodymyr Zelenskyy has agreed to a partial ceasefire in the war against Russia that was discussed by US President Donald Trump and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin, the White House said on Wednesday.

Trump briefed Zelenskyy on a phone call about his conversation with Putin on Tuesday.

The two leaders “agreed on a partial ceasefire against energy", Karoline Leavitt, the White House spokesperson said from a readout of Trump and Zelenskyy’s phone call to be issued by Secretary of State Marco Rubio and National Security Adviser Mike Waltz.

“Technical teams will meet in Saudi Arabia in the coming days to discuss broadening the cease fire to the Black Sea on the way to a full cease fire,” Levitt said further, adding, “They agreed this could be the first step toward the full end of the war in ensuring security.”

While President Trump had earlier proposed a 30-day ceasefire, which was accepted by President Zelenskyy, he and President Putin agreed instead on a limited ceasefire regarding only the energy and infrastructure sectors.

Levitt described the Wednesday phone call between Trump and Zelenskyy as “fantastic”.

“President Trump fully briefed President Zelensky on his conversation with Putin and the key issues discussed. They reviewed the situation in Kursk and agreed to share information closely between their defense staffs as the battlefield situation evolved. President Zelensky asked for additional air defense systems to protect his civilians, particularly Patriot missile systems. And President Trump agreed to work with him to find what was available, particularly in Europe,” Levitt said.

She added: “President Zelensky was grateful for the President's leadership in this effort, and reiterated his willingness to adopt a full ceasefire. President Trump also discussed Ukraine's electrical supply and nuclear power plants. He said that the United States could be very helpful in running those plants with its electricity and utility expertise. American ownership of those plants would be the best protection for that infrastructure and support for Ukrainian energy infrastructure.”

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

NationalBJP MLA Deepti Kiran Maheshwari injured in Rajasthan road accident, stable

CricketNitish Rana, Digvesh Rathi Engage in Heated Altercation During West Delhi Lions vs South Delhi Superstarz DPL T20 2025 Eliminator (VIDEO)

InternationalReciprocal tariffs struck down by US appeals court; Trump says will approach Supreme Court

EntertainmentChitrangda Singh: Birthdays are always a reminder to pause, be grateful

NationalAtmanirbharta in defence a 'condition for survival and progress': Rajnath Singh

International Realted Stories

InternationalUS revokes visas of Palestinian officials from UN meeting, alleging terror connections

InternationalIndian Navy's 'Emerging Leaders Panel Discussion' sees participation from 19 countries

InternationalIndia prevents global crisis by purchasing Russian oil, keeps markets stable

InternationalWHO warns of worsening global cholera outbreaks, urging swift response

InternationalUN chief calls for ceasefire in Sudan's El Fasher