City
Epaper

Unnao rape survivor's accident: Akhilesh, Congress for CBI probe

By IANS | Updated: July 29, 2019 08:45 IST

Samajwadi Party President Akhilesh Yadav has demanded a CBI inquiry into the accident in which the Unnao rape survivor and her lawyer were critically injured and her two female relatives were killed.

Open in App

Akhilesh said that the rape survivor had been provided security but not a single security personnel were present with her at the time of the accident.

A CBI inquiry was needed to probe whether it was a conspiracy to eliminate the family or just an accident, he said.

The Congress has also sought a Central Bureau of Investigation probe into the incident.

The court had ordered security cover to the rape survivor's family last year, there was no security guard accompanying the family.

The Unnao rape survivor and her lawyer, Mahendra Singh, were critically injured when a truck crashed into their car on National Highway-31 on Sunday evening.

Her aunt and another woman relative, who were in the car, were killed in the accident. They were returning from Rae Bareli prison after meeting the rape survivor's uncle, who is in jailed in a forgery case.

The sedan in which the four occupants were travelling was hit by a truck at Sultanpurkheda crossing.

The lawyer is battling for life with head injuries and multiple fractures in KGMU Trauma Centre, Lucknow.

The truck owner, Devendra Singh, and the driver, Ashish Pal, have been arrested.

The accident was so severe that the front portion of the car has been completely smashed. While two women relatives of the rape survivor died on the spot while the latter and her lawyer have been admitted to the Trauma Centre in Lucknow in a critical condition.

The rape case had shot into prominence when the survivor attempted self-immolation in front of the Chief Minister's residence on April 8, 2018, alleging that BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar had abducted and sexually assaulted her.

The following day, the survivor's father died in police custody, allegedly due to torture in prison.

The government transferred the case to CBI, which lodged three FIRs on April 13, and arrested Sengar and his 10 aides.

A subordinate of the Unnao rape survivor's lawyer, Vimal Kumar Yadav, said the survivor along with her kin returned from Delhi on Saturday without any security guards.

Relatives of the Unnao rape survivor and her lawyer claimed it was not a mere accident, but a conspiracy. Mahen Bahadur Singh, father of lawyer Mahendra Singh Chauhan said: "The nature of the accident is suspicious."

Inspector General of Police, Lucknow range, S.K. Bhagat, said that the matter would be investigated.

( With inputs from IANS )

Tags: Mahendra SinghlucknowKuldeep Singh Sengar
Open in App

Related Stories

NationalUttar Pradesh Horror: Woman’s Mutilated Body Discovered Inside Train Coach, Investigation Underway

CricketIPL 2026: Is MS Dhoni Playing Today’s Lucknow Super Giants vs Chennai Super Kings Match?

CricketIPL 2026: Why Jamie Overton Is Not Playing Today’s Lucknow Super Giants vs Chennai Super Kings Match? EXPLAINED

CricketIPL 2026: Toss Result, Playing XIs, Impact Players and Pitch Report for LSG vs CSK Match 59

CricketLSG vs CSK LIVE Cricket Streaming, IPL 2026: When and Where To Watch Lucknow Super Giants vs Chennai Super Kings Match 59

National Realted Stories

NationalGujarat: Dang’s natural farming push boosts strawberry cultivation, farmers earn profits

NationalTwisha Sharma Death Case: Family, lawyer allege investigation lapses, demand re-postmortem at AIIMS Delhi

NationalAssam to introduce UCC Bill in Assembly session, cabinet expansion likely in June

NationalPune Municipal Corporation seals RCC Coaching Classes in Pune in NEET paper leak probe

NationalPunjab Governor Gulab Chand Kataria travels by bus to attend public event