City
Epaper

Uttarakhand Tunnel Rescuer’s Home Demolished in Delhi: We Will Be Providing Him a House Under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, Says BJP MP Manoj Tiwari

By Lokmat English Desk | Updated: February 29, 2024 12:46 IST

BJP leader and MP from North East Delhi Manoj Tiwari said on Thursday, February 29, there were some legal issues ...

Open in App

BJP leader and MP from North East Delhi Manoj Tiwari said on Thursday, February 29, there were some legal issues regarding the house of Uttarakhand tunnel rescuer Wakeel Hassan. He assured that the Modi government will give him a house under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana.

The Delhi Development Authority on Wednesday demolished the house of a member of the team that played a crucial role in rescuing the 41 workers trapped inside a tunnel in Uttarkashi’s Silkyara last year.

The home of the rescue worker, Hassan, was demolished because it was part of an encroachment in the village Khajuri Khas in northeast Delhi, the authority said. The land was part of planned development land, the DDA officials said.

Also Read | ‘Children, Wife Lodged in Police Station’: DDA Demolishes House of Rat-Hole Miner Wakeel Hassan Who Saved 41 From Collapsed Uttarkashi Tunnel.

Hassan expressed his disappointment as his family were lodged in the police station and his son was beaten up by authorities and received injury. "We were sent to the Police station, my children, my wife and I were kept in the Police station...my son was beaten up, and he is injured," Hassan said to news agency ANI.

"We did such good work, but in return, my house has been razed," said Wakeel Hassan. The demolition has left them homeless, with no place to shelter or protect their children. 

Northeast Delhi MP Manoj Tiwari said he has looked into the matter and will ensure that Hasan gets the benefit of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, the Union government’s affordable housing scheme.  Hasan was among 12 rat-hole mining experts employed by Delhi-based Rockwell Enterprises who manually drilled through the debris in the partially collapsed Silkyara-Barkot tunnel to rescue 41 trapped workers in November.

Tags: DDAPradhan Mantri Awas YojanaManoj TiwariuttarakhandUttarakhand Tunnel rescue
Open in App

Related Stories

NationalUttarakhand Crime: Minor Girl On Way to School Kidnapped and Allegedly Gangraped in Champawat, Investigation Underway

NationalUttarakhand: 8 Killed As Vehicle Plunges Into Gorge in Tehri Garhwal

NationalUttarakhand: SkyHop Aviation Conducts Successful Seaplane Test Flight at Ganga Barrage in Rishikesh (Watch Video)

NationalNainital Bus Accident: One Killed, Several Others Injured After KMOU Bus Overturns in Khupi Area

NationalHelicopter Carrying Uttarakhand Governor Makes Emergency Landing In Srinagar Due To Technical Fault

National Realted Stories

NationalChandranath Rath murder probe: CBI arrests another accused in Uttar Pradesh

NationalDelhi Police arrests Jora gang shooter wanted in Jhajjar extortion firing case

NationalLadakh LG reconstitutes Police Recruitment Board; biometrics, CCTV mandated for exams

NationalSaurabh Vijay takes charge as CEO of Unique Identification Authority of India

NationalMaharashtra: 13 dead, several injured after tempo collides with trailer in Palghar; President Murmu, CM Fadnavis extend condolences