City
Epaper

Football: Ashley Young, Begovic & Virginia to leave Everton upon season conclusion

By IANS | Updated: May 17, 2025 20:17 IST

Liverpool, May 17 Everton have confirmed that Ashley Young and goalkeepers Asmir Begovic and Joao Virginia will be ...

Open in App

Liverpool, May 17 Everton have confirmed that Ashley Young and goalkeepers Asmir Begovic and Joao Virginia will be leaving the Club when their contracts expire at the end of the season next month. Manager David Moyes said, “Since my return to the club, I’ve seen what a great professional Ash is and know the leadership qualities he has brought to the squad during his time at Everton. His versatility, experience, and know-how have also been really beneficial to the team and me.

“Asmir and Joao have also worked really hard and conducted themselves impeccably. On behalf of everyone at the Club, I want to thank all three players for their service, and we wish them all the very best for the future,” he said.

Young joined the Blues in July 2023, with his experience, leadership, and versatility proving invaluable over the past two seasons.

Ahead of Sunday's last-ever Premier League match at Goodison Park, Young has made 68 appearances for Everton across several positions, scoring goals against Burnley and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Begovic returned to Everton last summer, having previously spent two years with the Blues between 2021-2023, and has made 10 appearances for the Club across those two spells.

Virginia signed for Everton from Arsenal in August 2018, and the 25-year-old has since made a total of eight appearances for the Men’s Senior Team.

Both goalkeepers have provided important competition and support for Jordan Pickford during their time with the Blues.

“This is a complicated situation in many respects, with so many players out of contract this summer. It’s important to me to speak with all of those players, individually, to give them clarity on their situations," Moyes added.

“Lots of factors influence our decision-making, and we’re currently working through that process with the players, which takes time. Some will have clarity by the end of this week, and for others, it may get to next week, but it’s important that it’s handled in the right way.

“We also have five players on loan, and we will let them know their situations in due course," he added.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalAirbus flags solar radiation risk, orders precautionary measures for A320 fleet

FootballIR Iran beat Palestine to notch up second win and remain at the top

NationalAirbus A320 Software Glitch: Air India, IndiGo Among 200 Flights Likely to Face Delays

EntertainmentAnupam Kher says Chef Sanjeev Kapoor made 'food fashionable in India'

BusinessDefence startups need orders, not Government VC funds, says Defence Secretary

Other Sports Realted Stories

Other Sports"Didn't expect this welcome, PM Modi fed us laddoos": Indian women's blind team rejoices after warm reception after T20 WC win

Other SportsDelhi Half Marathon raises INR 4.12 crore for 16 social causes

Other SportsAFC U17 Asian Cup 2026: Lebanon hand India first defeat in Qualifiers

Other SportsIOC and French Development Agency allocate over EUR 1 million to fight youth crime through sport

Other SportsJr World Cup Hockey: Rosan Kujur, Dilraj Singh score brace each as India thrash Chile 7-0