City
Epaper

East African leaders call for immediate ceasefire as fighting rages in Sudan

By IANS | Updated: April 17, 2023 02:50 IST

Nairobi, April 17 East African leaders have called for an immediate end to the ongoing fighting in Sudan ...

Open in App

Nairobi, April 17 East African leaders have called for an immediate end to the ongoing fighting in Sudan where military clashes have killed at least 56 people and injured nearly 600 others.

The Kenyan Presidency said the leaders from the regional bloc, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), held an emergency virtual session on Sunday where they called for an immediate cessation of hostilities between the parties to the conflict in Sudan.

Those in the emergency session were President William Ruto of Kenya, Salva Kiir of South Sudan, Yoweri Museveni of Uganda, Ismail Omar Guelleh of Djibouti, and Hassan Sheikh Mohamud of Somalia, Xinhua news agency reported.

"President William Ruto asked IGAD leaders to take a firm position on the crisis to restore peace in the country," the presidency said in a statement issued in Nairobi, the capital of Kenya.

The leaders resolved to send presidents Kiir, Ruto and Guelleh at the earliest possible time to reconcile the conflicting groups.

The leaders also asked the two parties to the conflict in Sudan to provide a safe corridor for humanitarian assistance in Khartoum, Sudan's capital, and other affected towns.

Violent clashes erupted on Saturday between the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in Khartoum and other cities, where the two sides traded accusations of initiating the conflict.

Sudan's Central Doctors' Committee said that at least 56 civil had been killed while 595 more have been injured, among them soldiers who are in critical condition.

The tension between the two military forces has escalated since Wednesday in the Merowe region in northern Sudan, after the RSF moved military vehicles to a location near the military air base there, a move that the army considered illegal.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: Intergovernmental Authority on DevelopmentIgadKhartoumNairobiYoweri museveniWilliam rutoWilliam samoei rutoIntergovernmental authorityKhartoum state
Open in App

Related Stories

MumbaiMumbai: Two Arrested with Cocaine Worth ₹7 Crore, Including Foreign National

MumbaiMumbai: DRI Seizes ₹37.7 Crore Gold at Mumbai Airport, 25 Foreign Nationals Under Scanner

MumbaiMumbai: Two Bangladeshi Nationals Held at Airport with Fake Passports While En Route to Norway

MumbaiMumbai Man Caught at Airport with Forged Maritime Documents While Attempting to Travel to Malawi

MaharashtraMumbai: DRI Seizes Rs 19.79 Crore Cocaine at CSMI Airport, Sierra Leone National Arrested

Politics Realted Stories

PoliticsBJP, Congress trade claims of victory in Himachal ULB polls; LoP Jai Ram Thakur slams govt

PoliticsInstead of gunfire, school bells now ring in Bastar, irrigation projects to boost agriculture: Chhattisgarh CM Sai

PoliticsWork-from-Home, carpooling, virtual meetings, fuel cuts, energy saving: Agriculture Ministry tightens expenditure

Politics'Semi-final before 2027': Congress, BJP clash over Himachal ULB poll results

PoliticsTN CM Vijay chairs review meeting of Energy dept, orders modernisation of Amma canteens across state