City
Epaper

Apple sues NSO Group for attacking iPhones with Pegasus

By IANS | Updated: November 24, 2021 10:30 IST

San Francisco, Nov 24 Tech giant Apple has filed a lawsuit against the Israel-based company NSO Group, the ...

Open in App

San Francisco, Nov 24 Tech giant Apple has filed a lawsuit against the Israel-based company NSO Group, the developer of infamous Pegasus spyware, seeking a permanent injunction to ban NSO Group from using any Apple software, services or devices.

The company admitted that a small number of its users may have been targeted by a NSO Group's exploit to install Pegasus on Apple devices.

"State-sponsored actors like the NSO Group spend millions of dollars on sophisticated surveillance technologies without effective accountability. That needs to change," said Craig Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering.

"Apple devices are the most secure consumer hardware on the market but private companies developing state-sponsored spyware have become even more dangerous," he said in a statement late on Tuesday.

Apple's complaint provides new information on NSO Group's 'FORCEDENTRY', an exploit for a now-patched vulnerability previously used to break into a victim's Apple device and install the latest version of NSO Group's spyware product, Pegasus.

The exploit was originally identified by the Citizen Lab, a research group at the University of Toronto.

"The spyware was used to attack a small number of Apple users worldwide with dangerous malware and spyware," the company informed.

Apple said it is notifying the small number of users that it discovered may have been targeted by 'FORCEDENTRY'.

Apple follows WhatsApp and its parent company Meta (formerly Facebook) in suing Pegasus spyware maker NSO Group.

The Apple lawsuit also seeks redress for NSO Group's flagrant violations of the US federal and state law, arising out of its efforts to target and attack Apple and its users.

To further strengthen efforts against cyber attacks, Apple said it will be contributing $10 million, as well as any damages from the lawsuit, to organisations pursuing cyber-surveillance research and advocacy.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: usappleSan FranciscoCraig FederighiNso GroupSan francisco baySupport companyApple educationApple app storesStore
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalDonald Trump Hellhole Remarks: Iran’s Mumbai Consulate Takes Dig at the US President With Cultural Jab

BusinessWho Is John Ternus? Apple Hardware Chief Set To Replace Tim Cook As CEO

InternationalKentucky Shooting: At Least 4 Killed, Including Suspect And Family Members In Adair County Standoff

InternationalTyphoon Sinlaku Live Tracker Map: Cyclonic Storm Intensifies Into Category 5; Check Real-Time Location

InternationalUS Announces First-Ever Global Philosophy Award Named After Babasaheb Ambedkar

Technology Realted Stories

TechnologyPM Modi’s UAE visit strengthens India’s energy security amid rising Middle East tensions: Report

TechnologyPM Modi's Europe outreach brings tech, geopolitical gains for India

TechnologyFrom offshore wind to green tech: India, Norway sign 5 strategic agreements

TechnologyMeta to commence layoffs of 10 pc of workforce from May 20

TechnologyTwo India-origin apps among finalists for 2026 Apple Design Awards