City
Epaper

Delayed compliance 'meaningless', IT Secy tells Twitter

By IANS | Updated: February 11, 2021 00:10 IST

New Delhi, Feb 10 The Indian government on Wednesday expressed displeasure over Twitter's delayed compliance on its order ...

Open in App

New Delhi, Feb 10 The Indian government on Wednesday expressed displeasure over Twitter's delayed compliance on its order to remove "provocative" tweets amid the ongoing farmers' protests.

IT Secretary Ajay Prakash Sawhney expressed Centre's displeasure to Twitter's management.

An official statement issued on late Wednesday night said the Secretary told Monique Meche, Vice President, Global Public Policy and Jim Baker, Deputy General Counsel and Vice President Legal of Twitter that delayed compliance to lawfully passed orders are "meaningless".

"Lawfully passed orders are binding on any business entity. They must be obeyed immediately. If they are executed days later, it becomes meaningless," Sawhney was quoted as saying in the statement.

The official expressed his deep disappointment to Twitter leadership about the manner in which Twitter has unwillingly, grudgingly and with great delay complied with the substantial parts of the order, the statement said.

He also told Twitter that in India its Constitution and laws are supreme.

It is expected that responsible entities not only reaffirm but remain committed to compliance to the law of land, he said.

Sawhney told the Twitter representatives that in India: "We value freedom and we value criticism because it is part of our democracy."

However, he added that freedom of expression is not absolute and it is subject to reasonable restrictions as mentioned in Article 19 (2) of the Constitution of India.

In view of the order issued by the Centre directing Twitter to remove Tweets and accounts using hashtag related to 'farmer genocide' and accounts supported by 'Khalistan sympathisers and backed by Pakistan' and blog post issued by Twitter earlier on Wednesday, the meeting took place as per schedule, said the statement.

The development comes after Twitter initially did not comply to the government's order on removing tweets and accounts talking of 'farmer genocide'. It has however started taking steps in that direction.

The IT Ministry said the Twitter leadership affirmed their commitment towards following Indian laws and rules.

They also expressed their continuing commitment towards building their services in India. They have also requested for better engagement between the government and Twitter's global team, said the statement.

( With inputs from IANS )

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: Monique mecheindiaNew DelhiTwitterIt MinistryAjay Prakash SawhneyThe new delhi municipal councilAjay sawhneyTwitter twitterTwitter sevaDelhi south-west
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalIndian Student in Canada Shares Gruelling Work-Study Routine, Internet Reacts

InternationalDonald Trump Hellhole Remarks: Iran’s Mumbai Consulate Takes Dig at the US President With Cultural Jab

TechnologyX Down? Elon Musk-Owned Social Media Platform Faces Outage

InternationalIranian President Calls for Constructive Role of Brics to Halt West Asia Conflict During Talks With PM Modi

LifestyleEid 2026 Date: When Will Saudi Arabia, UAE and India Celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr?

Technology Realted Stories

TechnologyGlobal AI spending expected to surge 47 pc to $2.59 trillion in 2026

TechnologyIndia can emerge as global leader in advanced 5G capabilities: Industry

TechnologyUS dropping charges will push Adani's global expansion plans: Top law expert

TechnologyRajasthan eyes global semiconductor leadership as state launches first chip manufacturing cluster in Bhiwadi

TechnologyPromoting 'grassroots innovators' can strengthen rural economy, reduce regional imbalance: Dr. Jitendra Singh