City
Epaper

Twitter clarifies sudden move to ‘temporarily’ apply rate limits

By IANS | Updated: July 5, 2023 09:05 IST

San Francisco, July 5 Twitter has clarified its sudden move to “temporarily” apply rate limits on the micro-blogging ...

Open in App

San Francisco, July 5 Twitter has clarified its sudden move to “temporarily” apply rate limits on the micro-blogging platform.

The company said on its Business blog: "To ensure the authenticity of our user base we must take extreme measures to remove spam and bots from our platform." "That’s why we temporarily limited usage so we could detect and eliminate bots and other bad actors that are harming the platform."

It also mentioned that if the bad actors had known about these actions beforehand, they might have changed their behaviour to avoid being discovered. At a high level, the company is working to prevent these accounts from-- scraping people’s public Twitter data to build artificial intelligence (AI) models and manipulating people and conversations on the platform in various ways.

"Currently, the restrictions affect a small percentage of people using the platform, and we will provide an update when the work is complete," the company said.

The platform also claimed that the limits have had “minimal” effects on advertising. "While this work will never be done, we’re all deeply committed to making Twitter a better place for everyone," it added.

Commenting on the clarification, Twitter CEO Linda Yaccarino on Tuesday said, "When you have a mission like Twitter -- you need to make big moves to keep strengthening the platform. This work is meaningful and on-going."

Last week, Twitter-owner Elon Musk had said that he has applied temporary limits on who will read how many posts in a day, to prevent data scraping and system manipulation.

His clarification came as millions of users across the globe, including in India, slammed him as the micro-blogging platform suffered a major outage globally, which prevented thousands of users from accessing the platform.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: San FranciscoTwitterElon muskLinda yaccarinoindiaDisney IndiaAll India Majlis E Ittehadul MuslimeenCommunist Party Of India MarxistIndia TodayAir Asia IndiaAsia IndiaFifa U 17 World Cup IndiaAll India Football FederationUnited India
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalIndian Student in Canada Shares Gruelling Work-Study Routine, Internet Reacts

InternationalDonald Trump Hellhole Remarks: Iran’s Mumbai Consulate Takes Dig at the US President With Cultural Jab

TechnologyX Down? Elon Musk-Owned Social Media Platform Faces Outage

TechnologyX Down: Elon Musk-Owned Social Media Platform Faces Outage as Users Unable to Access Feeds, Post Content

InternationalIranian President Calls for Constructive Role of Brics to Halt West Asia Conflict During Talks With PM Modi

Technology Realted Stories

TechnologyPM Modi attends India-Norway Business and Research Summit, several pacts signed

TechnologyUS Department of Justice drops all charges against Adani, court dismisses case

TechnologyX imposes daily limits on unverified accounts; See what's new

TechnologyRBI imposes restrictions on Etawah-based Nagar Sahakari Bank Ltd

TechnologyIndian Railways unveils design of India’s 1st bullet train for Mumbai-Ahmedabad corridor