City
Epaper

US dismantles Russian botnet that hacked millions of devices

By IANS | Updated: June 21, 2022 10:45 IST

San Francisco, June 21 The US has dismantled the infrastructure of a Russian botnet which hacked millions of ...

Open in App

San Francisco, June 21 The US has dismantled the infrastructure of a Russian botnet which hacked millions of computers and other electronic devices around the world while working as a proxy service.

The US Department of Justice, together with law enforcement partners in Germany, the Netherlands and the UK, brought down a Russian botnet known as RSOCKS that initially targeted Internet of Things (IoT) devices and then expanded into compromising Android devices and conventional computers.

A botnet is a group of hacked internet-connected devices that are controlled as a group without the owner's knowledge and typically used for malicious purposes.

"The RSOCKS botnet compromised millions of devices throughout the world," said US Attorney Randy Grossman.

"Working with public and private partners around the globe, we will relentlessly pursue them while using all the tools at our disposal to disrupt their threats and prosecute those responsible," he said in a statement.

Rather than offer proxies that RSOCKS had leased, the botnet offered its clients access to IP addresses assigned to devices that had been hacked.

The cost for access to a pool of RSOCKS proxies ranged from $30 per day for access to 2,000 proxies to $200 per day for access to 90,000 proxies.

"This operation disrupted a highly sophisticated Russia-based cybercrime organisation that conducted cyber intrusions in the US and abroad," said FBI Special Agent in Charge, Stacey Moy.

Once purchased, the customer could download a list of IP addresses and ports associated with one or more of the botnet's backend servers.

The customer could then route malicious internet traffic through the compromised victim devices to mask or hide the true source of the traffic.

"It is believed that the users of this type of proxy service were conducting large scale attacks against authentication services, also known as credential stuffing, and anonymising themselves when accessing compromised social media accounts, or sending malicious email, such as phishing messages," the DoJ explained.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: Stacey moyusSan FranciscoFBIUs Department Of JusticeSan francisco bayJose d'saRandy grossman
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalDonald Trump Hellhole Remarks: Iran’s Mumbai Consulate Takes Dig at the US President With Cultural Jab

InternationalKentucky Shooting: At Least 4 Killed, Including Suspect And Family Members In Adair County Standoff

InternationalTyphoon Sinlaku Live Tracker Map: Cyclonic Storm Intensifies Into Category 5; Check Real-Time Location

InternationalUS Announces First-Ever Global Philosophy Award Named After Babasaheb Ambedkar

InternationalMarine City Shooting: Shelter-in-Place Ordered As Police Respond to Active Shooter in Michigan

Technology Realted Stories

TechnologyMaruti Suzuki India launches Smart Factory Lab for skill development in Lucknow

TechnologyANRF selects 10 research centres to boost multidisciplinary innovation

TechnologyOver 8.5 million developers use Google AI models monthly, plans $190 billion capex: Sundar Pichai

TechnologySolar, wind expansion in India set to trigger $10–15 billion land investments by 2030

TechnologyMeta Platforms begins layoffs affecting 8,000 employees amid AI restructuring