City
Epaper

There may be no more tennis this year: Wimbledon chief

By IANS | Updated: April 3, 2020 16:03 IST

All England Club chief executive Richard Lewis said that it is no longer unrealistic to say that there may be no more tennis this year. Speaking a day after Wimbledon got cancelled for the first time since the Second World War, Lewis said that he is hopeful that the US Open and the French Open, which was rescheduled earlier, can take place but it is a difficult situation at the moment.

Open in App

London, April 3 All England Club chief executive Richard Lewis said that it is no longer unrealistic to say that there may be no more tennis this year. Speaking a day after Wimbledon got cancelled for the first time since the Second World War, Lewis said that he is hopeful that the US Open and the French Open, which was rescheduled earlier, can take place but it is a difficult situation at the moment.

"Who knows what will happen over that period?" Lewis was quoted as saying by The Guardian. "It's a challenge for everybody. Let's hope the US Open and Roland Garros [rescheduled to start a week after the conclusion of the US Open] can take place. It would be genuinely wonderful if the sport was off and running again.

"The optimist in me and I am often not optimistic still hopes the American hard-court season, the big tournaments, the Masters and the Premiers, will take place: Montreal, Toronto and then Cincinnati. But we all know that's probably tenuous at the moment.

"I don't think it's unrealistic to say that there may be no more tennis this year. But I would like to think that things will settle down so that tournaments can be played sooner rather than later."

The tennis season has been frozen since last month due to the global outbreak of coronavirus which has killed over 50,000 people around the world thus far. While the Wimbledon has been cancelled altogether, the French Open has been rescheduled to take place from September 20 to October 4.

( With inputs from IANS )

Tags: All england clubRichard lewisLondonWimbledonMontrealPremier of sa
Open in App

Related Stories

CricketVirat Kohli, Anushka Sharma Seen Strolling on London Streets; Video Goes Viral

CricketChris Woakes Walks Out to Bat with Sling On as England Lose Ninth Wicket on Day 5 of ENG vs IND 5th Test (Watch Video)

CricketENG vs IND 5th Test Weather Forecast: Will Rain Play Spoilsport on Day 5 of England vs India at Oval in London?

CricketENG vs IND 5th Test Weather Forecast: Will Rain Play Spoilsport on Day 3 of England vs India at Oval in London? (VIDEO)

CricketENG vs IND 5th Test Weather Forecast: Will Rain Play Spoilsport on Day 2 of England vs India at Oval in London?

टेनिस Realted Stories

TennisCarlos Alcaraz powers through to third round of US Open 2025

TennisWorld No. 1 Jannik Sinner advances in US Open with dominant win over Vit Kopriva

TennisNew-look Alcaraz starts US Open campaign with a win

Tennis"Crowd electric and loud as always": Novak Djokovic after his first round victory in US Open 2025

TennisUS Open 2025 kicks off from Sunday; Jannik Sinner, Carlos Alcaraz among top contenders