City
Epaper

South Korea's exports to US, China likely to decline further

By IANS | Updated: May 21, 2025 15:22 IST

Seoul, May 21 South Korea's exports to the United States and China are expected to decline further in ...

Open in App

Seoul, May 21 South Korea's exports to the United States and China are expected to decline further in May, as the impact of the Donald Trump administration's sweeping tariff scheme has begun to materialise, the country's top trade official said on Wednesday.

Trade Minister Cheong In-kyo made the assessment after government data showed that exports declined 2.4 percent in the first 20 days of May compared to a year earlier, due to a drop in shipments to the U.S. amid ongoing tariff measures.

During the first four months of 2025, cumulative exports totaled $217.9 billion, representing a 0.7 percent decrease compared to the same period last year, according to data from the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy, reports Yonhap news agency.

Shipments to the U.S. and China went down 3.3 percent and 4.1 percent, respectively, while exports to ASEAN and the European Union rose 5.9 percent and 2.1 percent, respectively.

"In May, the impact of the U.S. tariff measures is expected to be fully reflected, leading to a decline in exports to the U.S. and China," Cheong said during a meeting with officials overseeing export-related issues.

"We will maintain an emergency response system in cooperation with relevant agencies and continue to provide tailored support to address export challenges in each region," he added.

The government has pledged to swiftly execute the funds allocated through the supplementary budget, including 84.7 billion won for the exporter voucher program and 150 billion won for small and mid-sized exporters through trade insurance.

"Technical consultations with the U.S. on the tariff policy are under way, and we will actively engage in discussions to find mutually beneficial solutions, while prioritizing our national interest," Cheong said.

South Korea and the United States began a second round of working-level discussions in Washington on Tuesday (U.S. time), as Seoul has sought a complete exemption from the tariff scheme.

Last month, the US began imposing reciprocal tariffs on partner nations, including 25 percent duties on South Korea, only to pause them shortly afterward to allow for one-on-one negotiations.

Seoul and Washington subsequently agreed to work toward a "package" deal on trade and other related issues before July 8, when Trump's 90-day pause on reciprocal tariffs is to expire.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

International"First positive signal that a thaw has indeed happened": Former diplomat Vikas Swarup on India-Canada naming envoys

InternationalIndia, Japan working together to bolster critical minerals supply chains

International"Relationship with China improving since October 2024": Ex-diplomat Vikas Swarup

InternationalIndia, Japan condemn Pahalgam terror attack; call for concerted action against Lashkar-e-Tayyiba, Jaish-e-Mohammad

International"US officials trying to put all kinds of pressure but we will not be dictated by anyone": Former Diplomat Vikas Swarup

Business Realted Stories

Business‘Opportunity to mitigate US tariffs impact’, say businessmen ahead of PM Modi-Jinping meet

BusinessPiyush Goyal meets UAE counterpart; discusses bilateral trade, other key issues

BusinessTrump’s ‘dead economy’ jibe falls flat as India’s GDP growth surges to 7.8 pc

Business7.8% GDP growth in Q1 FY26 reflects strengthening momentum in economy

BusinessIndia’s GDP growing at a robust pace despite global uncertainties: Economist