City
Epaper

Brazil: Bolsonaro to appeal in Supreme Court against electoral court decision barring him from office till 2030

By ANI | Updated: July 1, 2023 22:00 IST

Brasilia [Brazil], July 1 : Calling the highest electoral court's decision a "stab in the back", former President Jair ...

Open in App

Brasilia [Brazil], July 1 : Calling the highest electoral court's decision a "stab in the back", former President Jair Bolsonaro vowed to appeal at the Supreme Court against the ruling which bars him from public office till 2030, Al Jazeera reported.

Bolsonaro was barred from running for political office till 2030, by the highest electoral court, after he was found guilty of abusing his power and misusing public media during last year's election campaign.

Speaking to Brazilian radio station Itatiaia, Bolsonaro on Friday said that he planned to appeal the court's decision.

Calling the decision a "stab in the back", the former President pledged to keep working to advance 'right-wing politics' in Brazil, Al Jazeera reported.

Before Friday's judgement, Bolsonaro also rejected any wrongdoing.

"I have not attacked the voting system; I just showed its possible flaws," he told Itatiaia radio station, adding, "This trial doesn't make any sense."

The former president was found guilty by five out of seven judges, effectively ending any hope of a political comeback in the forthcoming 2026 election. Two of the judges voted against the decision, which prevents Bolsonaro from running for public office for eight years.

As per CNN, the case stems from a meeting Bolsonaro held with foreign ambassadors in July 2022, in which he spread false information about Brazil's electoral system and brought its credibility into question ahead of last year's fractious election. The meeting was live streamed by official television channels and on YouTube.

YouTube took down the live stream of the event for not complying with its fake news policy.

Judge Alexandre de Moraes who presided over the court, cast his vote last. "Let us reaffirm our faith in our democracy and the rule of law," he said after voting in favour of the guilty verdict.

The judge added that with the vote, Brazilian authorities would show they do not tolerate "criminal extremism attacking the powers of the state, fake news, disinformation to try to deceive voters."

Bolsonaro lost the election by the narrowest margin in decades to current President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.

Riots on January 8 saw pro-Bolsonaro protesters breaking into government buildings in Brasilia, following weeks of demonstrations over the election results.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: BrasiliaAlexandre de moraesBrazilUs Supreme CourtBrazilian Football ConfederationSbt BrazilJudge Of The Supreme CourtAl JazeeraSupreme CourtThe Supreme CourtBench Of The Supreme CourtJair Bolsonaro
Open in App

Related Stories

NationalSupreme Court Asks Comedians Samay Raina, Vipul Goyal, Balraj Ghai, Nishant Tanwar, and Sonali Thakkar To Apologize for Cracking Insensitive Jokes on Disabilities

National'Release of Sterilised Stray Dogs, Aggressive Ones to Remain in Cages': Supreme Court

NationalNo Toll Collection on Bad or Congested Roads: Supreme Court

EntertainmentNatashaa Fernandes on SC Order on Stray Dogs: Will It Solve the Problem or Create a New Crisis?

NationalCentre Opposes Lowering Age of Consent to 16 Under POCSO, Says Move Could Harm Minors

International Realted Stories

InternationalTorrential rain triggers flash flooding across parts of Laos

InternationalDonald Trump revokes former US Vice President Kamala Harris' Secret Service protection

InternationalPM Modi paves way for Japan’s 10 trillion yen investment in India

InternationalLook forward to charting next phase of strategic ties between India, Japan: PM Modi in interview to Japanese publication

InternationalKerala–EU conclave to give boost to blue economy roadmap