City
Epaper

Iran warns of 'final step' on nuclear deal

By IANS | Updated: January 20, 2020 16:10 IST

Iran on Monday Iran said it could take a "final and more effective" step concerning its nuclear deal if the other parties remain in default of their contractual obligations towards Tehran.

Open in App

"If this trend continues, Iran will take this effective step," Press TV quoted Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi as saying at a press conference.

Since May 2019, Iran has been gradually reducing its commitments to the 2015 agreement, which is officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).

The countermeasures came in response to the US' withdrawal from the deal last year, its resumption of anti-Iranian sanctions, and refusal by Washington-aligned deal partners the UK, France, and Germany to guarantee Iran's business interests under the JCPOA after the sanctions returned.

As part of the retaliatory steps, Iran stopped recognizing the limits set by the deal on the level of its enrichment activities and the volume of its heavy water reservoir.

On January 5, however, the country said it would no longer observe any operational limitations on its nuclear industry, whether concerning the capacity and level of uranium enrichment, the volume of stockpiled uranium or research and development.

The decision came two days after an American drone attack killed Iranian Major General Qasem Soleimani in Baghdad.

Mousavi on Monday said so far the countermeasures that have been taken by the Islamic Republic have been meant "to strike a balance" between the quality of Iran's commitment to the JCPOA and the way others honour the accord.

Amid their continued violation of the JCPOA, the European trio even decided to formally trigger a dispute settlement mechanism featured in the deal that saw them accusing Iran of flouting the agreement.

Mousavi said, though, that despite the "betrayal" perpetrated by some European states, "the door to negotiation with them has not been closed yet", adding" "The ball is in their court."

( With inputs from IANS )

Tags: iranAbbas MousaviQasem SoleimaniForeign Ministry
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalIndia Condemns Attack on Indian-Flagged Ship Off Oman Coast, Says Crew Members Safe

InternationalGlobal Fuel Crisis Deepens Amid Iran War: Where India Stands as Crude Oil Prices Surge

NationalPM Narendra Modi Strongly Condemns Fujairah Drone Attack in UAE, Calls It ‘Unacceptable’

InternationalTrump Warns Iran of Fresh US Strikes if Tehran ‘Misbehaves’ Amid Deal Review

InternationalDonald Trump Hellhole Remarks: Iran’s Mumbai Consulate Takes Dig at the US President With Cultural Jab

International Realted Stories

InternationalMoscow-Beijing alliance hits 'unprecedented level' as Putin and Xi push for multipolar world order

InternationalAir Chief Marshal Singh receives Guard of Honour in Sri Lanka, pays tribute to IPKF martyrs

InternationalPM Modi hails global appeal of Indian classical dance after five Italian women perform

InternationalVaranasi painting presented to PM Modi a bridge between Italian artist's vision and India, says Giampaolo Tomassetti

International"Highly productive meeting": Indian, S Korean Defence Ministries deepen defence cooperation