City
Epaper

No talks with US, says Iran's Khamenei

By IANS | Updated: September 17, 2019 14:10 IST

Iran's supreme leader Ayotollah Khamenei on Tuesday said that Tehran will not engage in negotiations with the US "at any level", adding that Washington's "maximum pressure" campaign against the Islamic Republic has failed to achieve its goals.

Open in App

Khamenei's remarks come after the US has indicated that Iran had carried out the September 14 attacks on two Saudi Arabian oil fields which led to a cut global oil supplies by 5 per cent and an increase in prices.

Speaking to the media, Khamenei said entering talks with the US under the current circumstances would be tantamount to surrendering to Washington's undue pressure campaign, reports Press TV.

"Negotiating would mean Washington imposing its demands on Tehran. It would also be a manifestation of the victory of America's maximum pressure campaign," the leader noted.

"That is why Iranian officials, including the President, the Foreign Minister and others, have unanimously voiced their objection to any talks with the US - be it in a bilateral or a multilateral setting."

Khamenei said talks with Iran would be possible only if the US returns to a 2015 nuclear deal that it abandoned last year.

Under that multilateral accord, Washington had lifted its anti-Iran economic sanctions.

"If the US retracts its words, repents and returns to the nuclear accord that it has violated, it can then take part in sessions of other signatories to the deal and hold talks with Iran... Otherwise, no talks at any level will be held between Iranian and American authorities, neither in New York nor elsewhere," Press TV quoted the leader as saying.

He also noted that the US policy of maximum pressure consists of "a range of sanctions, threats and rants", which are meant to bring Iran to the negotiating table.

The attacks on September 14 was carried out by 10 unmanned aircraft. It hit the Hijra Khurais - one of Saudi Arabia's largest oil fields, producing about 1.5 million barrels a day - and Abqaiq, the world's biggest crude stabilization facility, which processes seven million barrels of Saudi oil a day, or about 8 per cent of the world's total output.

Although the Yemeni Houthi rebels have claimed responsibility for the attack, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has denied it, saying: "There is no evidence the attacks came from Yemen", while blaming Iran instead.

( With inputs from IANS )

Tags: iranusKhameneiwashington
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalIndia Condemns Attack on Indian-Flagged Ship Off Oman Coast, Says Crew Members Safe

InternationalGlobal Fuel Crisis Deepens Amid Iran War: Where India Stands as Crude Oil Prices Surge

NationalPM Narendra Modi Strongly Condemns Fujairah Drone Attack in UAE, Calls It ‘Unacceptable’

InternationalTrump Warns Iran of Fresh US Strikes if Tehran ‘Misbehaves’ Amid Deal Review

InternationalDonald Trump Hellhole Remarks: Iran’s Mumbai Consulate Takes Dig at the US President With Cultural Jab

International Realted Stories

International42 US aircraft lost or damaged during Operation Epic Fury against Iran, says Congressional report

InternationalPM Modi shares heartfelt moments with Indian diaspora upon arrival in Rome, witnesses cultural, classical performances

InternationalIranians realise Nuclear weapons a "red line" for US; we are negotiating in good faith: VP JD Vance

InternationalNordic nations condemn Pahalgam, Red Fort terror attacks at Oslo Summit; vow stronger anti-terror cooperation in joint statement with India

InternationalIndia, Nordic nations stress on WTO's central role, maritime security cooperation at Oslo Summit