City
Epaper

US Drone Strike Kills Iran-Linked Armed Group Commander in Baghdad - Video

By ANI | Updated: February 8, 2024 06:40 IST

Washington, February 8: The United States carried out a drone strike in Baghdad on Wednesday that killed three Kataeb ...

Open in App

Washington, February 8: The United States carried out a drone strike in Baghdad on Wednesday that killed three Kataeb Hezbollah members, including a high-ranking commander, according to the United States Central Command (CENTCOM). According to CENTCOM, the commander was "responsible for directly planning and participating in attacks on US forces in the region."

"There are no indications of collateral damage or civilian casualties at this time," CENTCOM said. "The United States will continue to take necessary action to protect our people. We will not hesitate to hold responsible all those who threaten our forces' safety," it wrote on X. Citing US officials, CNN reported that the strike in Baghdad on Wednesday was intended to kill Wisam Mohammed Sabre al-Saedi. Kataib Hezbollah issued a statement in grief for al-Saedi, adding that his death "calls us to remain steadfast in the jihadist approach."

US Drone Strike in Baghdad

On Wednesday, local police authorities reported that the attack damaged an SUV in Al-Mashtal, a predominately Shia district in eastern Baghdad. Meanwhile, Iraq's Joint Operations Command said in a statement on X on Wednesday that it sees the strike as "new aggression by the United States."

The strike took place as the US has been preparing retaliation operations against Iran-backed terrorists who conducted a drone attack on a US base in Jordan last month, killing three American soldiers and injuring 40 others. The United States has blamed the attack on an umbrella organisation of Iran-backed groups known as the Islamic Resistance in Iraq.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: BaghdadiranHezbollahCentcomUnited States
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalIndia Condemns Attack on Indian-Flagged Ship Off Oman Coast, Says Crew Members Safe

InternationalGlobal Fuel Crisis Deepens Amid Iran War: Where India Stands as Crude Oil Prices Surge

NationalPM Narendra Modi Strongly Condemns Fujairah Drone Attack in UAE, Calls It ‘Unacceptable’

InternationalTrump Warns Iran of Fresh US Strikes if Tehran ‘Misbehaves’ Amid Deal Review

InternationalDonald Trump Hellhole Remarks: Iran’s Mumbai Consulate Takes Dig at the US President With Cultural Jab

International Realted Stories

InternationalDefence Minister Rajnath Singh pays tribute at South Korea's Seoul National Cemetery

InternationalVance says US ready for Iran deal or war

International"Welcome to Rome, my friend": Italian PM Meloni extends heartfelt welcome to PM Modi in Italy

InternationalAAIU Report: Over rotation during go-around caused tail strike on Turkish Airbus at Dublin Airport

InternationalRubio to visit India from May 23-26 for key diplomatic talks