City
Epaper

Delhi HC Says, Ration Card Can’t Be Used As Proof of Residential Address

By IANS | Updated: March 7, 2024 14:51 IST

New Delhi, March 7 The Delhi High Court has recently clarified that ration cards are intended solely for accessing ...

Open in App

New Delhi, March 7 The Delhi High Court has recently clarified that ration cards are intended solely for accessing essential commodities under the public distribution system and should not be used as proof of address or residence. Justice Chandra Dhari Singh noted the lack of a verification mechanism for the address details on ration cards, saying that their purpose is restricted to ensuring the distribution of foodgrains at reasonable prices to citizens. This ruling came during the court's hearing of pleas by several inhabitants of Kathputli Colony, who sought alternative housing in exchange for their current makeshift homes.

Despite the Delhi Development Authority (DDA)'s reliance on ration cards as address proof in the rehabilitation process, the court found this practice misaligned with the central government's directive and the inherent purpose of ration cards.Referring to a 2015 gazette notification from the Union Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, which specifically cautioned against using ration cards as identity or residence proof, Justice Singh criticised the DDA's approach as arbitrary. The court noted that ration cards are designed for food distribution, not as identity or address verification tools.

The judgement impacts the rehabilitation policy for Kathputli Colony's jhuggi dwellers, particularly those whose eligibility was previously contested due to the absence of a ration card. Justice Singh directed the DDA to accept alternative documents listed in the Delhi Slum & JJ Rehabilitation and Relocation Policy, 2015, like passports, electricity bills, and driving licences, for verifying residents' claims to alternative accommodation. This order mandates the DDA to provide alternative dwelling units to the petitioners, contingent on the presentation of pertinent documents issued before the January 1, 2015, cutoff date.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: Delhi High CourtnationalNew DelhiNew Rules
Open in App

Related Stories

NationalUttar Pradesh Horror: Woman’s Mutilated Body Discovered Inside Train Coach, Investigation Underway

NationalGujarat Horror: Tenant Allegedly Allowed Landlord to Assault Wife and Minor Daughter Over Rent Dues

NationalMadhya Pradesh Shocker: Bride-to-Be Dies After Haldi Ceremony, Groom Suffers Severe Reaction In Khargone

NationalPatna: Minor Transfers ₹33 Lakh From Mother’s Bank Account to Neighbour Over 5 Months

NationalWest Bengal CM Oath Ceremony Today: BJP's Suvendu Adhikari to Take Oath as Chief Minister After Massive Victory

National Realted Stories

National"Can proudly say India has become free from Naxalism": Amit Shah meets CAPFs personnel, victims of naxal violence in Chhattisgarh

NationalSuspicion cannot justify taking law into own hands: Congress' Sama Ram Mohan Reddy on altercation over alleged illegal cow transport

NationalJ-K traffic police deploy speed radar guns on national highway to curb over speeding, boost safety

NationalCentre closely monitoring Ebola situation in Central Africa; Public health measures being strengthened: Sources

National"CBI will find out truth", says father of alleged 'main shooter' in Suvendu Adhikari's PA murder probe