City
Epaper

Musk warns of killing Twitter deal over lack of user data transparency: Report

By IANS | Updated: June 6, 2022 19:55 IST

San Francisco, June 6 Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk on Monday stated that if Twitter fails to ...

Open in App

San Francisco, June 6 Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk on Monday stated that if Twitter fails to give data on spam and fake accounts, he may walk out of his $44 billion acquisition agreement.

In a fresh SEC filing, Twitter shared a letter it received from Musk's legal team indicating displeasure with the company's offered information regarding the level of "spam and fake accounts" on its service, reports TechCrunch.

As per the letter, Musk considers Twitter's "latest offer to simply provide additional details regarding the company's own testing methodologies, whether through written materials or verbal explanations, (as) tantamount to refusing (his) data requests," requests that Musk said will help "facilitate his evaluation of spam and fake accounts on the company's platform".

The letter said that more data (and not just an explanation of how the existing data was gathered) on Twitter's non-human users both natural and spam is important for helping close the transaction from a financing perspective.

"As Twitter's prospective owner, Musk is clearly entitled to the requested data to enable him to prepare for transitioning Twitter's business to his ownership and to facilitate his transaction financing," the letter reads.

At the end of the short correspondence, Musk's legal team threatened to kill the deal.

"Based on Twitter's behaviour to date, and the company's latest correspondence, in particular, Musk believes the company is actively resisting and thwarting his information rights (and the company's corresponding obligations) under the merger agreement," the letter mentioned.

"This is a clear material breach of Twitter's obligations under the merger agreement and Mr Musk reserves all rights resulting therefrom, including his right not to consummate the transaction and his right to terminate the merger agreement," it added.

Musk has been vocal about this concern since his deal to buy the social media platform was finalised earlier this year.

Recently, he had hinted to pay less for Twitter takeover, as he sparred with CEO Parag Agrawal over the actual number of bots or spammy accounts on the platform. At a conference in Miami, Musk said that Twitter could have at least four times more fake accounts than what has been revealed in its filing.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: teslaSpacexElon muskSpacex falconParag agrawalSpacCeo elon muskMusk on twitter
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalWho Was Celeste Rivas Hernandez? Singer D4vd Arrested on Suspicion of Killing 15-Year-Old Girl Found in Tesla

TechnologyX Down? Elon Musk-Owned Social Media Platform Faces Outage

TechnologyX Down: Elon Musk-Owned Social Media Platform Faces Outage as Users Unable to Access Feeds, Post Content

TechnologyX Down: Elon Musk-Owned Social Media Platform Faces Global Outage for Users

NationalX Removes 600 Accounts, Blocks 3,500 Posts Following Government Action on Obscene Content

Technology Realted Stories

TechnologyMaruti Suzuki India launches Smart Factory Lab for skill development in Lucknow

TechnologyANRF selects 10 research centres to boost multidisciplinary innovation

TechnologyOver 8.5 million developers use Google AI models monthly, plans $190 billion capex: Sundar Pichai

TechnologySolar, wind expansion in India set to trigger $10–15 billion land investments by 2030

TechnologyMeta Platforms begins layoffs affecting 8,000 employees amid AI restructuring