City
Epaper

Nigerian govt joins India's Koo after banning Twitter

By IANS | Updated: June 10, 2021 21:40 IST

New Delhi, June 10 After banning micro-blogging site Twitter indefinitely, the Nigerian government has officially joined the Indian ...

Open in App

New Delhi, June 10 After banning micro-blogging site Twitter indefinitely, the Nigerian government has officially joined the Indian social media app Koo, the co-founder of Koo said on Thursday.

"The official handle of the government of Nigeria is now on Koo!" Aprameya Radhakrishna, Co-founder and Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Koo, wrote on its platform while announcing the Nigerian government's entry on the platform.

"A very warm welcome to the official handle of the Government of Nigeria on @kooindia! Spreading wings beyond India now," Radhakrishna wrote.

On Wednesday, the Nigerian government said that Twitter is seeking dialogue in a bid to resolve the issues leading to the suspension of its activities in the West African country.

Information and Culture Minister Lai Mohammed told reporters that he has received a message from the micro-blogging platform earlier in the day, seeking a dialogue with the Nigerian government.

"They (Twitter) are now ready to hold senior-level discussions with us," Mohammed said.

Aside from suspending Twitter's activities, Nigeria's broadcast regulator, the National Broadcasting Commission, has ordered all local outlets to suspend their use of the social media platform.

The Nigerian government on June 4 said it was indefinitely suspending Twitter's operations in the country.

The decision was taken two days after the social media network removed a post from President Buhari where made a reference to the country's 30-month civil war in 1967-1970, warning "those who wanted the government to fail" to desist from fomenting trouble.

Twitter said it had deleted the tweet because it violated the site's rules against abusive behaviour.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: National Broadcasting CommissionLai mohammedNew DelhiNigeriaTwitterThe new delhi municipal councilTwitter twitterTwitter sevaDelhi south-westTwitter cmoTwitter inc.
Open in App

Related Stories

TechnologyX Down? Elon Musk-Owned Social Media Platform Faces Outage

Social ViralLPG Cylinder Shortage in India Sparks Funny Meme and Desi Jugaad Fest on Social Media

EntertainmentThe Raja Saab Box Office Collection Day 13: How Much Did Prabhas’ Horror-Comedy Film Earn on Wednesday; Check Day-Wise Earnings Report

EntertainmentThe Raja Saab Box Office Collection Day 11: Prabhas’ Horror-Comedy Film Crosses Rs 140 Crore in India; Check Day-Wise Earnings Report

EntertainmentThe Raja Saab Box Office Collection Day 10: How Much Did Prabhas’ Horror-Comedy Film Earn on Its 2nd Sunday; Check Day-Wise Earnings Report

Technology Realted Stories

TechnologyPiyush Goyal chairs review meeting to boost India's startup, innovation landscape

TechnologyDRDO achieves development trials of precision guided missile launched by unmanned aerial vehicle

TechnologyDGCA directs OEM to inspect fuel control switch in presence of its officers for Air India

TechnologyCMFRI study reveals complex mating patterns in Indian Squid

TechnologyHere's why the POCO X8 Pro Max is built differently