City
Epaper

604 migrants intercepted off Libyan coast in past week, says IOM

By IANS | Updated: November 19, 2024 12:05 IST

Tripoli, Nov 19 The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said 604 migrants were intercepted and returned off the ...

Open in App

Tripoli, Nov 19 The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said 604 migrants were intercepted and returned off the coast of Libya in the past week.

The migrants intercepted between November 10-16 include 34 women and 11 children, IOM said in a statement, adding that seven bodies of migrants were recovered while 54 others remain missing, Xinhua news agency reported.

So far this year, 20,231 migrants have been intercepted, while 515 died and 830 others went missing off the Libyan coast, it said.

Since the fall of late leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, the ensuing insecurity and chaos in Libya have prompted many migrants, primarily from Africa, to attempt to cross the Mediterranean Sea to reach European shores.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalPM Modi arrives in Tokyo to attend 15th India-Japan Annual Summit

InternationalImran Khan's nephew Shershah sent on judicial remand in Jinnah House attack case

InternationalUN chief asks Security Council to authorize international force for Haiti

InternationalPM Modi arrives in Tokyo for two-day official visit to attend 15th India-Japan Annual Summit

InternationalIndian diaspora in Tokyo eagerly awaits PM Modi's visit, expresses pride and excitement

International Realted Stories

InternationalEuropean countries urge EU to toughen stance on Israel

InternationalJapanese artists prepare cultural performances ahead of PM Modi's arrival in Tokyo

InternationalIsraeli Minister Smotrich proposes phased Gaza annexation if Hamas fails to "disarm"

InternationalEurope faces record-breaking wildfires as climate change worsens 2025 season

InternationalTrump cuts funding for Afghan resettlement programs