City
Epaper

Guterres condemns condemns rocket attacks in Kabul

By IANS | Updated: November 22, 2020 11:50 IST

United Nations, Nov 22 UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has condemned the rocket attacks in Kabul which resulted in ...

Open in App

United Nations, Nov 22 UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has condemned the rocket attacks in Kabul which resulted in the death of nine people and injured nearly 50 others.

In a statement on Saturday, Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for the Secretary-General, said the UN chief expressed his deepest sympathies to the families of the victims and wished a speedy recovery to those injured, reports Xinhua news agency.

Underlining the urgency of ending the violence in Afghanistan, the secretary-general voiced hope that the Afghanistan Peace Negotiations can swiftly achieve a de-escalation of the conflicts and cessation of attacks.

The statement said that the upcoming 2020 Afghanistan Conference on November 23-24, co-hosted by Afghanistan, Finland, and the UN, is an opportunity to renew commitments to the peaceful development and future prosperity of the country.

On Saturday, nine people were killed and nearly 50 others wounded in two IED explosions and 23 rocket attacks.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks so far.

Over the past months, big Afghan cities have witnessed a spate of terror attacks by Taliban insurgents and the Islamic State.

( With inputs from IANS )

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalUS lawmaker urges rolling restrictions on AI chip exports to curb China's military edge

CricketTri-nation series: With Asia Cup in sight, Afghanistan crumble to 39-run defeat against Pakistan

InternationalIndia, Japan set roadmap for the next decade, adopt joint declaration on security cooperation

CricketPakistan Beat Afghanistan by 39 Runs in UAE Tri-Series 2025; Haris Rauf Takes Four Wickets

International‘Opportunity to mitigate US tariffs impact’, say businessmen ahead of PM Modi-Jinping meet

International Realted Stories

InternationalNetanyahu pledges continuation of campaign to return Gaza hostages after two bodies recovered

InternationalIsrael recovers two hostage bodies

InternationalDefence Minister Says Israel 'will not rest or be silent until everyone returns home'

InternationalIsraeli forces capture suspected terrorists in Southern Syria

InternationalUN Security Council to hold emergency meeting after deadly Russian strikes in Kyiv