City
Epaper

South Korea: Ex-President Yoon questioned over alleged attempt to block arrest warrant execution

By IANS | Updated: July 5, 2025 15:29 IST

Seoul, July 5 Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol is being questioned over allegations that he attempted ...

Open in App

Seoul, July 5 Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol is being questioned over allegations that he attempted to block investigators from executing an arrest warrant in January as part of a broader probe into his failed martial law attempt, the special counsel's office said on Saturday.

Yoon appeared before the office of special counsel Cho Eun-suk, located in the Seoul High Prosecutors Office in southern Seoul, for a second round of questioning, just a week after the first session.

"An investigation related to the obstruction of the arrest is currently under way," assistant special prosecutor Park Ji-young told reporters in a briefing. "I was told that the questioning is proceeding smoothly."

Yoon is facing allegations that he directed the Presidential Security Service to block investigators from executing a warrant to detain him in early January and to delete records from secure phones used by several military commanders after his failed martial law bid.

The team is also likely to examine the circumstances surrounding the martial law declaration on December 3.

Earlier this week, former Prime Minister Han Duck-soo and two other ministers were questioned as part of the expanding investigation into Cabinet members involved on the night martial law was declared, Yonhap news agency reported.

It marks his second questioning by the team, following the first session last Saturday, Yonhap news agency reported. The team also examined the circumstances surrounding the martial law declaration on December 3.

Special Prosecutor Cho Eun-suk, earlier on Friday summoned Education Minister Lee Ju-ho and Park Jong-joon, former head of the Presidential Security Service (PSS), in connection with his probe into former President Yoon Suk Yeol's martial law declaration.

Lee and Park were reportedly asked to appear at Cho's office within the Seoul High Prosecutors Office in southern Seoul on Friday afternoon.

Cho's office plans to question Lee about the circumstances before and after Yoon convened an emergency Cabinet meeting on the night of December 3 last year prior to the martial law imposition. Lee did not attend the Cabinet meeting because he was not given prior notice.

The special counsel's office has been calling in all of Yoon's Cabinet ministers, including former Prime Minister Han Duck-soo, since earlier this week for similar questioning.

The office plans to question Park as part of its investigation into allegations that Yoon ordered the PSS to block investigators from executing a warrant to detain him in early January, reports Yonhap news agency.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalPM Modi reaches Sendai to visit key semiconductor facility

TechnologyUS tells Samsung, SK hynix to acquire licenses for sending chipmaking tools to China

BusinessUS tells Samsung, SK hynix to acquire licenses for sending chipmaking tools to China

InternationalIndia, Bangladesh destined to work together: South Asia expert Sreeradha Datta

TechnologyGovt hikes usage charges of gunny bags by 40 pc in relief to states, UTs

International Realted Stories

InternationalAlgeria: COAS General Upendra Dwivedi pays tribute at Martyrs' Memorial

InternationalJapan's PM travels with PM Modi in bullet train from Tokyo to Sendai

InternationalPM Modi calls Tokyo visit "productive", hopes to deepen India-Japan friendship

InternationalMalibu Pursuit Video: 3 Children Injured After Suspected Kidnapper Crashes Stolen Car Near Kanan Dume Road

InternationalIndia, Japan sign key MoUs, agreements to deepen cooperation across diverse sectors