City
Epaper

Nabanna Abhijan: NHRC Intervenes, Issues Notice to Kolkata Police

By IANS | Updated: August 30, 2024 14:18 IST

Kolkata, Aug 30: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Friday issued a notice to Kolkata Police seeking an ...

Open in App

Kolkata, Aug 30: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Friday issued a notice to Kolkata Police seeking an explanation on the alleged police excesses on the protestors participating in the ‘Nabanna Abhijan (march to Bengal secretariat)’ on August 27.The march had been organised to condemn the rape and murder of a woman junior doctor of RG Kar Medical College & Hospital in Kolkata earlier this month.Sources said the NHRC has sought a report from the Kolkata Police within the next 14 days.

Sources added that the commission is of the view that the police action on the protestors participating in Nabanna Abhijan, the call for which was given on social media by a group of students, violated human rights.Meanwhile, Sayan Lahiri, one of the main people to give a call for the march, who was arrested by the city police after the event, on Friday approached the Calcutta High Court through his counsel seeking immediate release.In the petition his counsel has accused the city police of arresting his client on false charges.The petition has been admitted by the Calcutta High Court and the matter might come up for hearing in the second half of Friday.

Also Read| Mamata Banerjee Writes Another Letter to PM Modi on Rape Cases, Says "No Response From Your End on Such Sensitive Issue"

Pockets of West Bengal and Howrah turned into virtual battlefields on August 27 afternoon following clashes between the cops and the protestors.The police had to resort to lathi charge, firing of teargas shells and use of water-cannons to disperse the groups of protesters approaching the state secretariat located at Mandirtala in Howrah district from various points.Several protestors and policemen were injured in the clashes.A total of 220 arrests were made in this connection in addition to 25 preventive arrests before the march.The city police said that had these preventive arrests not been made, the situation would have been worse.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: kolkataNational newsNabanna Abhijan MarchNhrcKolkata PoliceRG Kar Medical College and Hospital
Open in App

Related Stories

NationalUttar Pradesh Accident: 10 Killed in Fatal Head-On Collision Between Truck and Van in Lakhimpur Kheri

NationalTamil Nadu: Young Girl Attacked With Stone by Lover in Broad Daylight in Tiruchirappalli

NationalTripura Horror: Man Allegedly Assaults Woman After Luring Her With Promise of iPhone

CricketIPL 2026: Updated Orange Cap & Purple Cap Standings After KKR vs GT Match 60

CricketKolkata Knight Riders Keep IPL 2026 Playoff Hopes Alive With 29-Run Win Over Gujarat Titans (VIDEO)

National Realted Stories

NationalBengal enhances upper age limit for govt recruitment by five years​

NationalDelhi Assembly Speaker nominates 3 MLAs to DJB​

NationalManoj Tiwari takes Metro ride after PM Modi’s fuel conservation call, promotes EV use with 50 pc parking rebate

NationalK’taka: BJP slams Congress over convention amid farmer distress

NationalKerala CM Satheesan's Sudhakaran twist puts Vijayan in a tight spot