City
Epaper

Sexual harassment case: Delhi Police resume arguments on charges against Brij Bhushan

By IANS | Updated: January 4, 2024 21:35 IST

New Delhi, Jan 4 The Delhi Police on Thursday resumed arguments on whether to frame charges against BJP ...

Open in App

New Delhi, Jan 4 The Delhi Police on Thursday resumed arguments on whether to frame charges against BJP MP and former Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh in an alleged sexual harassment case lodged by six women wrestlers.

The police presented thier submissions before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Priyanka Rajpoot, claiming that there is sufficient prima facie evidence to proceed with trial against Singh and co-accused Vinod Tomar, suspended Assistant Secretary of the WFI.

Singh was granted exemption from personal appearance for the day.

The court will continue hearing the case on Saturday.

The fresh hearing stemmed from the transfer of Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Harjeet Singh Jaspal of the Rouse Avenue Court, who had previously presided over the case.

As the predecessor judge had already heard extensive arguments, the court had, during the last hearing, stressed the need for a fresh hearing, especially on the framing of charges.

The matter was at the stage of clarification before an order could be reserved when the transfer occurred.

Earlier, the Delhi Police had filed written arguments presenting their stand as to whether to frame charges against Singh.

ACMM Jaspal had handed the copy of the arguments to the counsels of the accused and the complainant.

Advocate Harsh Bora, representing the complainants, had earlier filed written rguments .

On October 30 last year, the court had granted three weeks to the counsels in the case to file their written arguments, and had stressed before the parties that the arguments shall be concluded in a systematic manner.

Singh’s counsel had filed the written arguments on November 22, 2023.

The BJP MP had earlier questioned the jurisdiction of Delhi court trying a sexual harassment case against him lodged by six women wrestlers, claiming that there was no action or consequence which happened in India.

The prosecution, however, had said that the act of sexual harassment of the victims was a continuing offence, as it did not stop at any particular time.

Delhi Police had also told the court that Singh never missed an opportunity to sexually harass women wrestlers, adding that there is sufficient evidence to frame charges against him and proceed with the trial

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalPM Modi arrives in Tokyo to attend 15th India-Japan Annual Summit

InternationalImran Khan's nephew Shershah sent on judicial remand in Jinnah House attack case

InternationalUN chief asks Security Council to authorize international force for Haiti

InternationalPM Modi arrives in Tokyo for two-day official visit to attend 15th India-Japan Annual Summit

InternationalIndian diaspora in Tokyo eagerly awaits PM Modi's visit, expresses pride and excitement

Other Sports Realted Stories

Other SportsBelow-par Neeraj Chopra finishes second in Diamond League Final; Weber on top with 91.51 m throw

Other SportsDiamond League Final: Neeraj Chopra saves top-two finish streak, finishes runner-up to Julian Weber

Other SportsDPL 2025: New Delhi Tigers end campaign with thrilling last-ball win over North Delhi Strikers

Other SportsBWF World Championship: Satwik-Chirag joins Sindhu, Dhruv-Tanisha in quarterfinals

Other SportsMickey Arthur says he understands why Pakistan did not pick Babar, Rizwan for Asia Cup 2025