City
Epaper

Southgate stays silent on England future after Euro loss, says 'Now is not the time to speak'

By IANS | Updated: July 15, 2024 12:20 IST

Berlin, July 15 Gareth Southgate has one of the most peculiar managerial reigns in the history of world ...

Open in App

Berlin, July 15 Gareth Southgate has one of the most peculiar managerial reigns in the history of world football. The head coach is undoubtedly the greatest manager in the history of the England national team having taken the team to two consecutive finals but still is heavily criticised for his style of play.

The 53-year old had previously suggested that he will step down as the head coach if the side fails to win the European Championship. When asked about his future plans Southgate dodged the question by saying 'now is not the time' to speak about it.

"Now is not the time for me to speak about that. I need to talk to the right people and give myself a bit of time. To get to another final, it was a privilege to have the opportunity. But to come up short is hard at the moment.They have represented the shirt with pride and haven’t been beaten until the very end. I just think Spain had more control of the game,” said Southgate to reporters in the post-game conference.

Since Southgate’s comments on stepping down came out, England went on to reach their first ever finals on European soil and just missed out on what could have been historic. The manager was disrespected during the course of the tournament with English fans showering him with boos and some even throwing bottles and cans at the manager but rallied behind him as the tournament progressed.

According to recent reports the English Football Association wanted Southgate to stay no matter the result in the final and have full trust in him which is why they want to extend his contract till the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

"Of course to take England to two finals has never been done but we came here to win and we haven’t been able to do that. England have some fabulous players. We have been consistently back in the matches that matter. It’s the last step we haven’t been able to do.England are in a really good position in terms of the experience they have. Most of this squad will be around for the next World Cup and maybe the next Euros. There’s a lot to look forward to but at this moment, it’s not any consolation," concluded the Three Lions boss.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalAirbus flags solar radiation risk, orders precautionary measures for A320 fleet

FootballIR Iran beat Palestine to notch up second win and remain at the top

NationalAirbus A320 Software Glitch: Air India, IndiGo Among 200 Flights Likely to Face Delays

EntertainmentAnupam Kher says Chef Sanjeev Kapoor made 'food fashionable in India'

BusinessDefence startups need orders, not Government VC funds, says Defence Secretary

Other Sports Realted Stories

Other Sports"Didn't expect this welcome, PM Modi fed us laddoos": Indian women's blind team rejoices after warm reception after T20 WC win

Other SportsDelhi Half Marathon raises INR 4.12 crore for 16 social causes

Other SportsAFC U17 Asian Cup 2026: Lebanon hand India first defeat in Qualifiers

Other SportsIOC and French Development Agency allocate over EUR 1 million to fight youth crime through sport

Other SportsJr World Cup Hockey: Rosan Kujur, Dilraj Singh score brace each as India thrash Chile 7-0