City
Epaper

Iran slams US' move to seize website domains

By IANS | Updated: June 24, 2021 10:25 IST

Tehran, June 24 The Iranian government has slammed the US' move to seize dozens of website domains as ...

Open in App

Tehran, June 24 The Iranian government has slammed the US' move to seize dozens of website domains as "a systematic attempt to undermine global freedom of expression and silence independent voices in the media".

In a statement on Wednesday, Saeed Khatibzadeh, spokesman of the Foreign Ministry, criticised the upholding of "double standards" regarding freedom of expression by Washington as "shameful", reports Xinhua news agency.

"The current administration of the US has followed exactly the path of the previous administration, which will result in nothing but a double defeat for Washington," Khatibzadeh said in the statement.

Iran, he added, rejects the US' "illegal and bullying action", and will follow up the issue through legal channels.

On Tuesday, the Department of Justice in Washington announced the seizure of "33 websites used by the Iranian Islamic Radio and Television Union (IRTVU) and three others operated by Kata'ib Hizballah (KH), in violation of US sanctions".

The Department said that both IRTVU and KH, a Shia militia group operating in Iraq, had been designated by the American government and prohibited from obtaining website and domain services in the US without a license.

The websites of the Iranian state-owned news channel Press TV and Al-Alam were among those being blocked, while both were running again later in the day by using Iranian domains.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: Saeed khatibzadehXinhuaForeign Ministry
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalMajor UK Railway Stations Hit by Cyber Attack; Network Rail Suspends Wi-Fi Service

InternationalGreece braces for first summer heat wave

PoliticsSudan govt willing to work with all parties to end conflict

InternationalCyprus prepares for emergencies in face of approaching heat wave

PoliticsUkraine receives cluster munitions from US

Politics Realted Stories

Politics"Over 290 of 580 manifesto promises fulfilled; remaining will be met in 2 years": Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah

PoliticsUnion Jal Shakti Minister chairs 14th HPRB meeting of Brahmaputra Board in Guwahati

PoliticsTamil Nadu ABVP submits 16-point memorandum on educational reforms to CM; delegation says Vijay agrees to 8 demands

PoliticsPushpa said "jhukenge nahi" to "I am leaving": Suvendu Adhikari mocks TMC's Jahangir Khan for withdrawing from Falta repoll

Politics"BJP will be removed from power in Delhi in coming days": Mamata Banerjee