City
Epaper

Russian forces intensify offensive efforts in Luhansk: Official

By IANS | Updated: February 10, 2023 08:45 IST

Kiev, Feb 10 A top Ukrainian official said that Russian forces have intensified their offensive efforts in the ...

Open in App

Kiev, Feb 10 A top Ukrainian official said that Russian forces have intensified their offensive efforts in the eastern Luhansk region over the past week.

In a statement on Thursday, Luhansk Governor Serhiy Haidai said that officials have witnessed a slight increase in Russian operations near the cities of Kupyansk and Lyman, CNN reported.

Russia is on the offensive in Luhansk, though without "much success" so far, the Governor added.

Haidai's remarks came just two days after he had claimed that Russian troops were being sent to the war-torn nation's eastern region as part of an offensive planned by Moscow on February 15.

On Tuesday. he had said that "we are seeing more and more reserves being deployed in our direction", reports the BBC.

Almost a year into Moscow's ongoing invasion, an estimated 300,000 Russian reserve troops have been recruited in recent months in an attempt to break through Ukraine's front lines in the east.

Capturing the key city of Bakhmut could enable Russian forces to press on towards the bigger cities of Kramatorsk and Slovyansk.

The Governor had further claimed that the Russ' two-month training period was coming to an end and Moscow would need around 10 days to transfer them to the front for a new offensive.

He suggested that in Luhansk region they would target the three towns of Bilohorivka, Kreminna and Svatove, the BBC reported.

Since the past few months, Ukraine has been warning of an imminent Russian offensive that could begin on February 24, marking the first anniversary of Moscow's invasion.

Thursday's development came as Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenksy met European Union leaders in Brussels after his trips to London and Paris a day earlier, during which he asked for more fighter jets in en effort to boost Ukraine's war capabilities amid the ongoing invasion.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: KyivVolodymyr zelenksybbcCNNMoscowAustralia broadcasting corporationFacebook groupBbc radioBroadcasting corporationTwitter sportsInternational data corp.State for international trade
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalMoscow: One Killed, 3 Injured in Knife Attack at School in Odintsovo

BusinessNetflix to Acquire Warner Bros Studios and Streaming Assets in $72 Billion Mega Deal

InternationalIrani Boy Goes in Coma After Man Brutally Slammed Him on Floor at Moscow Airport; CCTV Footage Shocks Internet

InternationalRussia-Ukraine War: 60 Ukrainian Drones Shot Down Over Moscow in Largest Drone Attack

InternationalJim Acosta Expected to Leave CNN Network After Removal from Weekday Time Slot

Politics Realted Stories

Politics"Over 290 of 580 manifesto promises fulfilled; remaining will be met in 2 years": Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah

PoliticsUnion Jal Shakti Minister chairs 14th HPRB meeting of Brahmaputra Board in Guwahati

PoliticsTamil Nadu ABVP submits 16-point memorandum on educational reforms to CM; delegation says Vijay agrees to 8 demands

PoliticsPushpa said "jhukenge nahi" to "I am leaving": Suvendu Adhikari mocks TMC's Jahangir Khan for withdrawing from Falta repoll

Politics"BJP will be removed from power in Delhi in coming days": Mamata Banerjee