City
Epaper

Yogi govt withdraws notice to anti-CAA protesters

By IANS | Updated: February 18, 2022 07:15 IST

Lucknow, Feb 18 The Uttar Pradesh government has withdrawn notice sent to the anti-CAA protesters seeking to recover ...

Open in App

Lucknow, Feb 18 The Uttar Pradesh government has withdrawn notice sent to the anti-CAA protesters seeking to recover damages.

The move to seize properties of people involved in the December 2019 protests against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) comes after the Supreme Court pointed out last week that the state may have overreached itself.

"The state government has withdrawn the notices for the recovery of damages," said a senior officer.

According to the officials, additional district magistrates (ADMs), who headed the recovery claims tribunals in different districts, issued 274 notices for recovery of damages. including 95 issued to protesters in Lucknow.

On February 11, the Supreme Court observed that the state government had not followed due process.

"You have become complainant; you have become witness; you have become prosecutor... and then you attach properties of people. Is it permissible under any law?" a bench of Justice Dhananjaya Y Chandrachud and Justice Surya Kant had asked the state government's law officer.

In an earlier case, the apex court observed in 2009 that the power to compute damages and investigate liability for destruction of public property is to be exercised either by a serving or retired high court judge or a retired district judge as a claims' commissioner.

The anti-CAA protests turned violent at some places in December 2019. Some protestors allegedly vandalised and torched public property in many cities, including Lucknow.

The state government issued notices to recover the cost of properties damaged, relying on the Allahabad high court's 2011 judgment in Mohammad Shujauddin versus State of UP case. It, however, ignored the Supreme Court guidelines issued in 2009 and subsequently in 2018.

"If the state government has decided to withdraw notices, it's a welcome move. But the government has done so under the pressure of Supreme Court," said SR Darapuri, a former IPS officer, who too was given a notice.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: Anti-caaDhananjaya y chandrachudUttar PradeshUttar pradesh mayawatiNorthwest madhya pradesh &People of uttar pradeshRajasthan unitedUttar pradesh's prayagrajNew uttar pradeshGhaziabad regional unit
Open in App

Related Stories

NationalUttar Pradesh Accident: 10 Killed in Fatal Head-On Collision Between Truck and Van in Lakhimpur Kheri

NationalUttar Pradesh Horror: Woman’s Mutilated Body Discovered Inside Train Coach, Investigation Underway

NationalUttar Pradesh : Woman Found Dead at Home in Kushinagar, Husband Detained

NationalUttar Pradesh Storm Tragedy: 89 Dead as Rain, Hailstorm, and Lightning Wreak Havoc Across State

NationalUttar Pradesh: Man Allegedly Kills Sister-in-Law, Then Shoots Himself; Police Probe On

Politics Realted Stories

Politics'Detected, deleted, now deport': Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari; names Abhishek Banerjee, others over 'loot'

PoliticsWest Bengal Cabinet approves two panels on corruption, crimes against women

Politics"India's strategic, economic, technological cooperation elevated": Assam BJP on PM Modi's foreign visits

PoliticsBJP, Congress trade claims of victory in Himachal ULB polls; LoP Jai Ram Thakur slams govt

PoliticsInstead of gunfire, school bells now ring in Bastar, irrigation projects to boost agriculture: Chhattisgarh CM Sai