City
Epaper

Mobile users to lose $58 bn in scam calls globally this year

By IANS | Updated: March 20, 2023 13:15 IST

New Delhi, March 20 Mobile users are expected to lose a massive $58 billion to fraudulent scam calls ...

Open in App

New Delhi, March 20 Mobile users are expected to lose a massive $58 billion to fraudulent scam calls globally this year, a report showed on Monday.

The loss due to fraudulent robocalls is a rise from $53 billion mobile subscribers faced last year, according to Juniper Research.

These losses will be driven by the increase in multifarious scam calls to deceive end users, such as unauthorised call forwarding or caller ID spoofing, with the end goal of financial gain.

Despite the ongoing development of robocalling mitigation tools, the report predicted that fraudsters' ability to innovate fraud methods will drive these losses to reach $70 billion globally by 2027.

North America continues to be the most impacted region by fraudulent robocalls, as its affluent nature provides larger monetary opportunities for fraudsters and will account for over half of the losses attributable to robocalling in 2023.

However, the report estimates that STIR/SHAKEN framework has reduced the year-on-year growth of fraudulent losses to robocalling.

By 2025, fraudulent losses arising from robocalling are anticipated to decline for the first time in North America, owing to the widespread adoption of this framework, said the report.


na/ksk/

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: Juniper ResearchamericaNew DelhiThe new delhi municipal councilDelhi south-westNew-delhiNew delhi municipal committeeSouth zone committeeDelhi municipal house
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalDonald Trump's Signature to Appear on US Currency in First for Sitting President

National‘Harassing Crores for a Few’: Ex-CEC S.Y. Quraishi Criticises SIR Process at Lokmat National Conclave 2025

NationalLokmat National Conclave 2025: Manoj Jha Flags ‘Freebies Culture’, Says Elections Are No Longer Fair

MumbaiLawrence Bishnoi's Brother Anmol Bishnoi Deported from US, Key Conspirator in Baba Siddique Murder Case

CricketVirat Kohli Spotted at Delhi Airport Ahead of India's Tour of Australia, Video Goes Viral

Technology Realted Stories

TechnologyOver 8.5 million developers use Google AI models monthly, plans $190 billion capex: Sundar Pichai

TechnologySolar, wind expansion in India set to trigger $10–15 billion land investments by 2030

TechnologyMeta Platforms begins layoffs affecting 8,000 employees amid AI restructuring

TechnologySamsung Electronics' union to proceed with strike

TechnologyGovt plans Rs 4,800 crore inland waterways push in northeast in next 5 years