City
Epaper

Dharavi Mosque Demolition: BMC Granted Extension to Mahboob-E-Subhani Mosque Trustees to Remove Alleged Illegal Construction

By Lokmat English Desk | Updated: September 21, 2024 14:16 IST

Mumbai, September 21: In a recent development regarding the Mehboob-e-Subhani Mosque located on 90-Feet Road in Mumbai's Dharavi, the ...

Open in App

Mumbai, September 21: In a recent development regarding the Mehboob-e-Subhani Mosque located on 90-Feet Road in Mumbai's Dharavi, the trustees on masjid on Saturday, September 21, have been granted a 4 to 5-day extension by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) to voluntarily remove the alleged illegal construction. 

The following decision came after the BMC issued an eviction notice, prompting the trustees to submit a written request for additional time. The mosque trustees addressed their request to the Deputy Commissioner of Circle 2 and the Assistant Commissioner of G-North Ward, seeking 4 to 5 days to dismantle the encroached portions of the structure. The BMC administration accepted their request.

Also Read | Mumbai: Protest Erupts in Dharavi Area As BMC Arrives to Demolish Alleged Illegal Portion of Mosque (Watch Video).

Earlier on Saturday, tension prevailed as hundreds of local residents gathered on a road and opposed the local authorities' plan to pull down an alleged illegal portion of a mosque. A large number of police personnel have been deployed there to prevent any untoward incident in view of the prevailing situation.

However, Mumbai Congress chief Varsha Gaikwad reached the spot and appealed to agitators to maintain peace in the area. "Action scheduled for today has been cancelled. We met the CM last night. We had urged him for this. Everyone kept forth their views here peacefully. It has been cancelled, and everyone has gone home. I appeal to the people to maintain peace," said Gaikwad.

Meanwhile, Congress MP Gaikwad and Shiv Sena (Eknath Shinde Faction) leader Milind Deora met Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde regarding the mosque row in Dharavi.

Gaikwad, after meeting the CM, said that the CM had assured the demolition process would be stopped after discussion with the concerned authorities.

Tags: DharavimumbaiBMCMosque VandalisedVarsha gaikwad
Open in App

Related Stories

MumbaiBandra Demolition Drive: Western Railway Begins Dismantling Jhuggis In Mumbai's Garib Nagar Area Near Railway Tracks (Watch Videos)

MumbaiMumbai Weather Update: Temperature Likely to Drop Amid Changing Weather Patterns

Social ViralMumbai: Idli Vendor Near Dadar Railway Station Accused Of Using Water Stored Near Public Toilet; Viral Video Raises Food Hygiene Concerns

NationalPetrol, Diesel Price Hike: Fuel Prices Increase Second Time in a Week; Check Rates in Metro Cities

MumbaiMumbai Tree Collapse: 15-Year-Old Succumbs A Week After Khar Mishap, Other Victims Remain Critical

Mumbai Realted Stories

MumbaiMumbai: Wanted Accused Arrested for Duping Couple of ₹30 Lakh on Promise of Cheap SRA Flat in Andheri

MumbaiMumbai Crime: Man Arrested For Attacking Brother-In-Law Over Estranged Wife’s Address in Sakinaka

MumbaiMumbai Mayor Ritu Tawde Takes Local Train From Ghatkopar To Reach Dadar (Watch Video)

PunePune Shocker: Man Brutally Attacked with Machete in Kondhwa, CCTV Footage Surfaces

MaharashtraMaharashtra Govt Employees To Receive DA Arrears With May Salaries Under 5th, 6th And 7th Pay Commissions