City
Epaper

COVID-19: Groom's father fined Rs 50,000 after video of marriage procession in Odisha goes viral

By Lokmat English Desk | Updated: July 7, 2020 12:09 IST

Open in App
1 / 9
The Ganjam district administration in Odisha imposed a penalty of ₹50,000 on both the bride and the groom’s families conducting a marriage procession while violating social distancing norms and not wearing masks.
2 / 9
The father of a groom and his brother were arrested on Saturday in Odisha's Ganjam district, a COVID-19 hotspot, for violating safety protocols during the marriage function, police said.
3 / 9
The groom's father and his brother have been held, SP (Berhampur) Pinak Mishra said.
4 / 9
The incident came to the fore after a video surfaced, in which guests were seen without masks and dancing close to each other at the marriage procession, and many holding hands.
5 / 9
According to the state government's COVID-19 guidelines, a maximum of 50 people can participate in a marriage function, while strictly adhering to social distancing norms and wearing masks
6 / 9
Sources said a well-known hotelier in the town had obtained permission from the authorities for his son's marriage at a hotel at Gopalpur-on-Sea on July 2.
7 / 9
The hotel has reportedly been sealed for seven days, they said.
8 / 9
As part of containment measures, the Ganjam district administration has also prohibited the movement of people from rural areas to towns.
9 / 9
The district has reported 2,066 COVID-19 cases so far, and it also tops the list of fatalities with 20 people succumbing to the disease. Odisha's coronavirus death toll stands at 34.
Tags: CoronavirusCovid-19GanjamGanjam district collector
Open in App

Related Stories

MaharashtraMaharashtra Reports 12 New COVID-19 Cases, One Death in 24 Hours

NationalKarnataka: Over 20 Die of Heart Attacks in 40 Days in Hassan District; Probe Ordered

MumbaiMumbai: BMC Confirms Zero New COVID-19 Cases in Mumbai, No Concerning Variants Detected

MaharashtraMaharashtra COVID-19 Update: State Reports 13 New Cases, One Death

MaharashtraMaharashtra Reports 24 New COVID-19 Cases, No Fresh Deaths

National Realted Stories

NationalHigh Court decision being examined by Law Dept: Rajasthan minister on SI recruitment case

NationalFirst in NE: Tripura govt begins distributing PVC ration cards to PDS beneficiaries

NationalOdisha Assembly Speaker hails SC/ST Conference as ‘milestone outside Delhi after 25 years’

NationalCentre to launch beta version of India's first AI-powered 'Adi Vaani' translator for tribal languages

National‘Sachin Pilot sought my support to become CM’: Beniwal hits back at Ashok Gehlot