City
Epaper

Hamas seeks to extend four-day truce with Israel

By IANS | Updated: November 27, 2023 09:55 IST

Tel Aviv, Nov 27 Hamas has said that it seeks to extension of the ongoing four-day truce with ...

Open in App

Tel Aviv, Nov 27 Hamas has said that it seeks to extension of the ongoing four-day truce with Israel, which has so far witnessed the release of three groups of Israeli hostages from Gaza and three groups of Palestinian prisoners and detainees from Israeli jails.

The four-day pause in fighting which began on November 24, is set to expire on Monday.

In an official statement on Sunday night, which was sent to the Israeli government through the mediators in Qatar, the Palestinian militant group said it wants “to extend the truce after the four-day period ends, through serious efforts to increase the number of those released from imprisonment as stipulated in the humanitarian ceasefire agreement".

Sources in Israel government told IANS that the government would consider further extension of ceasefire if more hostages in Hamas's captivity are freed.

Since the beginning of the ceasefire, 67 hostages were released by Hamas.

In exchange, Israel has released 39 Palestinian prisoners, according to the country's prison service.

Over the weekend, Qatar, which played a central role in mediating the agreement, said it too was hoping to extend the truce, which includes provision for an extension of one extra day for every 10 hostages Hamas is ready to free.

A senior Palestinian official familiar with negotiations taking place in Qatar has told the media that Hamas informed mediators that it is willing to extend the pause by two to four days, and that an extension could see the release of an additional 20 to 40 Israeli prisoners.

Under the terms of the current pause, a total of 50 Israeli hostages will be freed over four days in exchange for 150 Palestinian prisoners.

On November 25, the second batch of the release was implemented after a delay of several hours, as Hamas accused Israel of failing to adhere to what was agreed upon under the truce, regarding the entry of relief trucks into the north of Gaza.

But the UN Relief Works Agency (UNRWA) said that there is a regular flow of trucks into Gaza strip through the Rafah crossing and more trucks are likely to reach Gaza during the ceasefire period.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalLibyan parliament speaker calls for immediate presidential election

LifestyleToday's Horoscope, November 29, 2025: Check Your Zodiac Signs Predictions, Lucky Numbers and Colours

InternationalLebanon files complaint to UN over Israeli walls crossing border

NationalDelhi court to pronounce order today in National Herald case

InternationalAfghan national accused in White House shooting charged with murder

Politics Realted Stories

MaharashtraSanjay Raut Says Sena–MNS Already Together No Need Others Permission

MaharashtraBig Jolt to Sharad Pawar as Salil Deshmukh, Son of Anil Deshmukh, Quits NCP-SP

PoliticsEknath Shinde Issues Strict No-Crossover Order After Meeting Amit Shah; Directive Communicated to All Shiv Sena Leaders

MaharashtraBMC Elections 2025: Devendra Fadnavis Says Clarity on Seat-Sharing Will Emerge in Two Days

NationalBJP Candidate Satish Kumar Leading Over Tejashwi Yadav in Raghopur Assembly Constituency