City
Epaper

Video of Trump declining to answer during deposition releases

By IANS | Updated: February 1, 2023 09:10 IST

Washington, Feb 1 A video of former US President Donald Trump declining to answer questions during a deposition ...

Open in App

Washington, Feb 1 A video of former US President Donald Trump declining to answer questions during a deposition last August at the New York Attorney Generals office by invoking the Fifth Amendment at least 400 times, has been released, according to sources.

Under the US Constitution, the Fifth Amendment guarantees that an individual cannot be compelled by the government to provide incriminating information about him/herself the so-called "right to remain silent".

"Anyone in my position not taking the Fifth Amendment would be a fool an absolute fool," CNN quoted the Trump as saying at the beginning of the deposition on August 10, 2022.

The former President was deposed as part of New York Attorney General Letitia James' civil investigation into the Trump Organization's business practices, which culminated in a lawsuit filed by James in September 2022 against Trump, some of his children, and executives of his business.

The sources said that the video is a close shot of Trump and the investigators questioning him are not on camera although James can be heard introducing herself at the start of the deposition.

Following this, Trump read a lengthy statement calling James' investigation "the greatest witch hunt in the history of our country" and added that he would be asserting his constitutional rights to not answer questions in the deposition, CNN reported.

In his opening state which lasted for about seven minutes, he accused the Attorney General was investigating him for political reasons and also referenced the FBI's search of his Mar-a-Lago home, which occurred two days before the deposition.

Trump said he had "no choice" but to invoke the Fifth Amendment.

"We cannot permit a renegade and out of control prosecutor to use this investigation as a means of advancing her political career."

The video released on Tuesday spans about 37 minutes and covers the portions of the deposition transcript that had been previously released.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: FebruaryCNNDonald TrumpFacebook groupTwitter sportsInternational data corp.State for international tradeState sportsU.s. newsAbc news' instagramW sports & media
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalWashington DC Shooting: US National Guard Member Sarah Beckstrom, Shot by Afghan Suspect, Dies, Says Donald Trump

InternationalTrump’s Dinner: From Cristiano Ronaldo to Elon Musk; Here's Who Joined Saudi Crown Prince at White House

InternationalDonald Trump To Host Cristiano Ronaldo at White House on November 18

InternationalZohran Mamdani Wins New York City’s Mayoral Election; Defeating Trump’s Candidate

OpinionsSongs of Peace and Nuclear Tests!

Politics Realted Stories

MaharashtraSanjay Raut Says Sena–MNS Already Together No Need Others Permission

MaharashtraBig Jolt to Sharad Pawar as Salil Deshmukh, Son of Anil Deshmukh, Quits NCP-SP

PoliticsEknath Shinde Issues Strict No-Crossover Order After Meeting Amit Shah; Directive Communicated to All Shiv Sena Leaders

MaharashtraBMC Elections 2025: Devendra Fadnavis Says Clarity on Seat-Sharing Will Emerge in Two Days

NationalBJP Candidate Satish Kumar Leading Over Tejashwi Yadav in Raghopur Assembly Constituency