City
Epaper

Djokovic received medical exemption because he tested positive for COVID in December, reveal court documents

By ANI | Updated: January 8, 2022 16:55 IST

World number one men's singles player Novak Djokovic was granted a medical exemption to enter Australia and compete in the Australian Open because he had recently tested positive for COVID-19, court documents published on Saturday has revealed.

Open in App

World number one men's singles player Novak Djokovic was granted a medical exemption to enter Australia and compete in the Australian Open because he had recently tested positive for COVID-19, court documents published on Saturday has revealed.

"Mr Djokovic had received, on 30 December 2021, a letter from the Chief Medical Officer of Tennis Australia recording that he had been provided with a 'Medical exemption from COVID vaccination' on the grounds that he had recently recovered from COVID," the document said, as per CNN.

"The date of the first positive COVID PCR test was recorded on 16 December 2021," the document added.

The Australian Open organizers granted a medical exemption to vaccine-skeptic Djokovic after which he jetted into Melbourne on Wednesday. However, on landing the nine-time Australian Open champion spent eight hours in detention at Melbourne Airport where he unsuccessfully pleaded his case to border officials.

The Serbian is currently in immigration detention after having his visa canceled. In the court documents published on Saturday, it is stated that he has "not had a fever or respiratory symptoms of COVID-19 in the last 72 hours".

Djokovic on Friday had thanked people for their support since he was refused entry to Australia over his COVID-19 vaccine status.

"Thank you to people around the world for your continuous support. I can feel it and it is greatly appreciated," the Serbian, who is in a detention facility in Melbourne awaiting an appeal, said on Instagram.

( With inputs from ANI )

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: MelbourneaustraliaCNNInstagramNovak Djokovic
Open in App

Related Stories

TechnologyInstagram Down: Users Unable to Upload Stories as Meta-Owned App Suffers Outage

MaharashtraPalghar Crime: 24-Year-Old Dies After Being Beaten Over Instagram Messages to Girlfriend in Nalasopara

InternationalAustralia Shooting: Two Police Officers Killed, One Injured in Porepunkah; Town on Lockdown

MumbaiMumbai: Police Register Case Against Man for Cyberstalking and Blackmailing 23-Year-Old Student in Australia

Social ViralInstagram and Facebook's New Feature Expands Content Reach with AI-driven Dubbing Tool

Tennis Realted Stories

TennisUS Open 2025: Aryna Sabalenka battles past Leylah Fernandez into fourth round

TennisUS Open 2025: Novak Djokovic battles through fitness scare to beat Cameron Norrie, sets up fourth-round clash with Jan-Lennard Struff

TennisUS Open: Alcaraz overcomes second set slump, injury scare to march into R4

TennisWorld No. 1 Sinner continues title defence with dominant win over Popyrin

TennisUS Open 2025: Coco Gauff, Iga Swiatek book spots in third round with impressive wins