City
Epaper

Coronavirus tally crosses 500, defiant Pak PM refuses to impose lockdown

By ANI | Updated: March 21, 2020 12:48 IST

Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan has refused to impose a nationwide lockdown despite the cases of coronavirus in the country crossing 500.

Open in App

Islamabad [Pakistan], Mar 21 : Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan has refused to impose a nationwide lockdown despite the cases of coronavirus in the country crossing 500.

There have been three COVID-19 deaths in Pakistan so far and the total number of confirmed cases has gone up to 501, Geo News reported. Sindh is the worst-hit province with 252 cases.

Analysts have suggested a complete lockdown of Pakistan, including suspension of flights in view of the increase in the number of infections.

"Lockdown means curfew-like situation, which will create unrest in the country and we cannot afford that. It would make poor people more vulnerable," Khan said.

Khan said that the government was working on an economic package that will be announced on Tuesday. "We cannot compete with other countries of the world who are announcing economic packages," he said. "However, we will protect our lower and labour class against the effects of the coronavirus. This package will do so."

A lack of necessary medical equipment such as masks, test kits, and ventilators, is limiting the scope of prevention, testing and treatment of the disease in Pakistan. Doctors have threatened to go on strike until the equipment is provided.

Meanwhile, the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank have announced help to economically stricken Pakistan by providing USD 588 million for its emergency response to fight the coronavirus and to address the socio-economic impact of the pandemic.

Reports of the lack of adequate screening procedures and squalid living conditions at the quarantine camps at the Taftan border crossing with Iran have further raised concerns of the surge in the number of infections.

Similarly, hundreds of people from PoK belonging to Sudhnoti and Rawalakot, working alongside the Chinese workers, face a difficult situation given the lack of screening procedures. People are demanding that all employees working with Chinese workers be screened.

Several residents of Lahore have complained that some hospitals are charging over PRK 9,000 for the coronavirus test, against the government's claims that the tests were being carried out for free.

Dozens of families living in the Leepa Valley have left for other parts amid coronavirus concerns, despite assurances that the Army was capable of handling the situation.

( With inputs from ANI )

Tags: islamabadImran KhanAsian Development BankLahoreWorld Bank
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalUS Has Agreed To Release Frozen Iranian Assets in Qatar, Other Banks, Says Iranian Source

InternationalEarthquake in Pakistan: Quake of Magnitude 3.9 Hits Punjab Province; Tremors Felt in Islamabad and Rawalpindi

InternationalIslamabad Blast: Several Injured After Explosion Near Imambargah in Shehzad Town

CricketAUS vs PAK LIVE Cricket Streaming: When and Where to Watch Pakistan vs Australia 3rd T20I Match in India

CricketAUS vs PAK: Salman Agha Wins Toss, Pakistan To Bat First Against Australia in 3rd T20I; Check Playing XIs

International Realted Stories

InternationalPM Modi holds delegation-level meeting with Italian President Sergio Mattarella

InternationalUS indicts Chinese executives, major container firms over alleged global shipping price-fixing conspiracy

InternationalCyprus President Nikos Christodoulides to visit India from May 20-23

InternationalDalai Lama attends long life prayer ceremony at Tsuglagkhang Temple in Dharamsala

InternationalBalochistan universities erupt in protest as state fails to recover kidnapped academics